Knife in the back!

havencarol

Help! I am directing a play in which a character staggers on stage with a carving knife sticking out of his back! As this is a "play within a play) the knife is subsequently removed by another character and handed to him. I'm quite happy to use a "joke knife" and doctor it to make in look more realistic but how can we attach the knife to the actors back so that it doesn't wobble about? Any ideas gratefully received!

Hi

What clothing is the actor wearing? Would it be possible to have a piece of polysterene attached to the actor that you can put the knife in to (obviously it would have to be a plastic knife!!) you could then cut a hole in his clothing to poke it through and even fit a fake blood package in there. If you could only use a small amount of polysterene, you could have a retractable plastic knife and fit a small catch on it that will hold it in the retracted position. Then, with a bit of practice, as the actor removed it from his back, he could release the catch and therefore release the knife.

Hope this makes sense and helps a little?!

Em

Hi

What clothing is the actor wearing? Would it be possible to have a piece of polysterene attached to the actor that you can put the knife in to (obviously it would have to be a plastic knife!!) you could then cut a hole in his clothing to poke it through and even fit a fake blood package in there. If you could only use a small amount of polysterene, you could have a retractable plastic knife and fit a small catch on it that will hold it in the retracted position. Then, with a bit of practice, as the actor removed it from his back, he could release the catch and therefore release the knife.

Hope this makes sense and helps a little?!

Em

Thanks ... I'll try it!

havencarol

Archived