can i use a prolight mixer desk at 4 ohms?

Dave Dix

HI, I am new to this forum so I hope I have the correct catogory.

I have bought an early powered mixing desk, warrior chorus 8A by prolight and the rear panel just has 2X200 WATT 8 OHMS ,no min or max just 8 ohms. I have contacted prolight and the tech advisor said you can run it 4ohms a side but dont block the airvents!! which seems a bit vague but he may be correct.

Anyone had any experience with these desks and do you know whether the tech is correct or not?

Also will 4 ohms increase the power as on most transitor amps or not?

Thanks for your time

Dave

They will have advised you not to block the airvents as most amplifiers produce more heat when run at 4 ohms...and if they dont have adequate ventilation wil overheat and fail within a short space of time. The tech guys at Prolight know their own products and I would trust their word.

They will have advised you not to block the airvents as most amplifiers produce more heat when run at 4 ohms...and if they dont have adequate ventilation wil overheat and fail within a short space of time. The tech guys at Prolight know their own products and I would trust their word.

That was my thinking, Chris, but I would have thought they would have added the 4 ohms on the rear of the amp and I thought I would check this out first before running the risk

Dave

Archived