Cubase sx in a live enviroment

Dexter1210

Hi guys im just wondering if anyone has done this before, or even if it can be done.

I have a 10in 10out soundcard connected to a laptop running Cubase SX that I use for recording.

Would it be possible to use the VST effects in a live situation? Routing the direct outs from the desk through cubase, mixing the tracks adding effects and so on then routing a final mix to a stereo track on the desk?

The reason I ask is I sometimes get called to less than equipped venues to mix a simple 2 vox to backing track and discover there are no comps or reverbs.

any info would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Apart from the practical aspects its all down to latency. If you can get it low enough then it should work, otherwise it'll kill you. Normally a non-event on recorded stuff, as VST effects dont have to operate in real time.

One can use VST effects live, there are a number of VST effects boxes, never used one though.

its all down to latency.

I have used the TC Powercore in a live situation and Mr Buckley is absolutely right... it is the latency that is the problem. Reverbs and Delays are quite usable... comps etc are out of the question. You would expect only to be able to run one effect to cut down on the latency.

Chris

I have used a PC for effects live.

I have an EMU soundcard with built in DSP chips and effects, while the compressors aren't BSS quality, and the reverbs are no TC Electronics they are all perfectly usable, and have a very low latency. In fact the latency is lower than the delay I normally put on to line up the PA with the acoustic sound.

Quite a cheap solution, and is independent of PC speed/ram etc.

...though it has to be said that, depending on which E-MU card you have, prices could be getting into the range where you could have a TC M300 'verb plus some kind of standalone hardware compressor. If you have to add in a specific PC for this job, then you certainly could have a hardware solution!

Bob

Ah...if memory serves the 0404 is the PCI DSP card, as opposed to a full featured sound card?

If I'm right, that's a lot cheaper than the E-MU range of actual sound cards which WOULD be in a hardware-effects sort of price range. However, it does mean you have to lug a PCI-capable desktop around with you....

I'll just put a plug in here...in the future when you upgrade your mixer, a digital one would give you all the effects you need, all in the one box without all the fears of latency, crashes, etc.!

Bob

Its a fully featured sound card (link to emu website). Basically the 1212 with unbalanced connections and no word clock. Goes for around £65. The 1212 costs £120.

I use a shuttle PC, which is small, quiet and professional looking.

I'd love a digi desk, but the only one in my price range has been discontinued...

Back on topic, you can use VST effects, but the latency and processing overhead would be high. Using the PC to control external units (via midi) or a DSP card is a more viable prospect.

[edited to correct 1010 to 1212]

In "theory" it should work fine, but you have to remember, you will tend to get quite a bit of latency problems (delayed sound) when you pass a siginal through a computer.

I have tried doing this before, but it just ended up confusing the band playing because of the delayed sound.

Computers cant seem to handle processing sound the same way other dedicated digital devices can. EG digital desk such as the PM5D.

let's not get bunged up by latency. I have sx with 16 in and 16 out. the direct audio and the through the system audio are low enough,latency wise to use if you wanted to - less than anybody sitting in the first few rows gets. The real issue is what happens when you change things. Starting up a new component suddenly draws resouces - sometimes with the occasional glitch, or change in the latency delay. A constant delay is workable - a varying one difficult. I've just tried using sx as an effects rack - it does kind of work - cpu indicator up to 30% ish and all appears well. reverb, and other gadgets work ok - stacking up a few clever ones seems a little unpredictable. A few instances of autotune andthings are slowing up too much.

If you have sx, why not try it and see?

Archived