Clay Paky stage Scans

Robe575xt

Hi All,

I have the option of acquiring some Clay Paky Stage Scans, If memory serves me correctly this fixture is an amalgamation of the Super Scan Zoom and the Golden Scan 3 HPE. I am also assuming having used the Golden Scan 3 that the Stage Scan is built to a high quality and should be reliable. Unfortunately I have no idea how old the units are but I do know that they are currently fully operational and all DMX controllable functions work correctly although the lamps are on there last legs but this is not a big problem.

What I am asking is what people think of these lights? and also is there any potential problems I may come across with them or any expensive faults that I may need to put right. I will be controlling these lights using Nicolaudie Sunlite (2004 version) which has the Stage Scan in the fixture library.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Hi All,

I have the option of acquiring some Clay Paky Stage Scans

Chris

How much are the ones you are looking at? We were in a similar dilemma when some fairly cheap Clay Paky Mini Scans to add to our inventory. Part of me thought they would be a good investment at the price, but then they are already fairly old and maybe getting some newer scanners would be more viable in the long run as it gets more expensive to keep repairing lights that have been around a while.

However, as you say, Clay Paky do have a good reputation and so if the price is right I would be inclined to look into it, just think long term as it might be more worthwhile to pay more now for newer lights which will have less maintenence costs.

Well..From my experience, Clay Paky scanners are one of the best in the market and it is very easy to maintain and fix in case there is a problem. There aren't any major problems with the Stage Scan, few ones I came across with are broken shutter and stepper motor not working however, considering that my Stage Scan is eight years old now, It still proves that It is working perfectly like eight years ago and it will stay on so, It is a very good investment to make. Spare parts from Clay Paky are also easy to find and the Clay Paky people also have superb service.

We have 4 fully working CP Super Scans, originally built in the late 80's (I think one of them is serial number 87!) They went on tour for several years, before being picked up by a hire company, who sold them to us in the mid 90's. Apart from some failing condensor lenses and reflectors, they're all in a decent condition, and only give us as much hassle as our other newer lights.

One thing to look out for is fans - always keep a couple of spares in stock. Neither the Golden Scans or Super Scans (and I'm guessing the Stage Scans) like running with only one fan, and without going up in the roof and checking every time, the only way you find out that one's failed is when they start misbehaving. We now check roughly every 5 events.

We own quite a few of the stage scans, and I think they are a bright fixture, full colour mixing, the speed advantages of a mirror , on the down side they do not tour well, the motors and colours etc are held in with rods that shake loose a fair bit. But if using them in a fixed venue a good fixture, again as with any purchase its all dependant on the price.

Archived