Soundcraft or A&H

munster

I have a series 2 and am thinking about selling it to purhase a GL4800. I will be going for a bigger frame size which is one of the main reasons for selling the Series 2. I was just wondering if anyone had experiences with both these boards as I do not want to end up with a new desk that has a worse general standard (EQ, pre-amps etc) to the series 2. Obviously the A&H has some more up to date features and is more handy to have as it can be used for mons and FOH.

Whilst I can't comment on the additional features of the 4800 to my 2800 I can say that I am more than happy with my 2800. They have very good pre's, according to a guy at A&H the'yre from the ML4000, and its a very nice desk to work with. I dont think you'll be dissapointed with the A&H board.

Rob

Ahhh the GL4800, have been touring with one now for best part of a year taking it on holidays with me to various countries.

Good points definately outnumber the bad ones, esp at the price point in the market for which the GL4800 enters.

The Preamps are of a good quality and give real world usable results at almost every position, mic/line switch also acts as pad for the XLR inputs.

The EQ section is quite forgiving with 4 sweepable eqs (2 with 2 position Q settings) and I have found it very usable on a multitude of sources. The sweepable HP Filter is a nice addition at the price. It's no cadac but very friendly and suited to the price bracket.

As with the usual A&H desks there are many options for flipping outputs and fader positions depending on how you want to use the desk, all these systems work well and make for a flexible desk.

Also at that price 10 auxes, direct outs, 8 groups and 4 way matrix....need I say more!

The fader length is great and with 10dB of available gain on each group/aux master fader and 6dB on each individual aux send pot its certainly a powerful set of features to enable great flexibility.

The downsides...

The exclusion of matrix direct insert points is a real pain (esp when you consider the 3800 series includes this feature) something I wish it had many times!

The store and edit safe buttons are located next to each other and its easy to record over mute scenes when editing safes if u don't check twice!

Ours has (13 months in) developed a crackle/modulating noise on both the main L/R outputs; I say this to inform you this is a problem we have had. Richard from A&H service is being very helpful and assisting us with this issue, its probably something very silly and certainly nothing to put you off the desk.

In fact the pic in my profile is from A&H's marketing department!

Poppadom

hi

another thumbs up for A&H, despite previous msg, reliable, great features/price ratio, I have a older A&H board, and the spares are still available despite being out of production, always helpful on the phone, and forthcoming with mods, and circuit diagrams,I dont think ur be disapointed with them!

dan

Hi guys, this is my first post so bear with me, I have an A&H GL2800-32 for live band work, and while it is much loved, there are a few dislikes which I will mention here, please note these may not be relevant on the GL4800.

1, PSU connector to desk is on the back of the rack unit, and arkward to rack-mount,

2, Back-up psu is another £350

3, Console lights use 4 pin XLR, and are expensive

4, Flightcasing not easy if building the cases yourself

5, Small amount of background noise on the L+R & M faders (from new) which may be significant if connecting to a 50K sound system

Thats all, nothing major, beautiful desk, well laid out, plenty of holes to plug toys into.

and finally, A&H technical dept resolved a technical question within 2 mins of diallling their number

Since you specifically mention EQ and preamps I'll just throw in that I don't think you'll be in any way disappointed with these aspects of the A&H. I've owned/used quite a few Soundcraft boards (including the series II) and I think the A&H EQ on the GL series is, if anything, slightly easier to dial in. As for the mic pres, I'd put the A&H in a similar category to the Soundcraft ones.

Bob

Edited to correct a typo/omission

Lightsource.

I have a Gl2800-32 and dont hear any noise on L R or M outputs. maybe something to look into. I dont think it matters what its connected to really (Using Wavefront 8 myself about 20k of it) but the system is pretty much silent throughout (not throughout the show though :( )

One of the light sockets didn't work on mine from new, so I've fixed that. only a wiring issue.

Seems the price of backup supplies have come down, must get another, do have 2 but I'd like a 3rd to keep in storage. dont know why.

Rob

Thanks a lot for all of your advice. It looks like we will do the deed when we sufficient funds. The versatility of the A&H is a real bonus and it sounds like their new boards are a step above the older GL range although they weren't bad. Thanks to everyone who posted. :(

Archived