VL500..Any Good?

lxhipster

Hi all!

I'm in the middle of about to purchase some VL500s for my lighting fleet. I need comments, pro/cons of the fixtures before I make my decision. Is it any good compared to the MAC TW1, The Clay Paky Alpha T or the new one from ROBE. Many thanks in Advance.

I saw these demo'd at ABTT show. I always thought the old VL5 was the best CMY wash light on the market, but having to use it with a repeater box and all the old archaic remnants of the old VL system was a tedious process. The VL500, now fully DMXable at the point of the fixture (so no more smart cables :-)) gives fantastic light output and in my opinion still beats the Alpha Halo and TW1.

Do not buy the Robe units. The VL support for their products is fantastic and its easy to get hold of colour palettes and groups for them so you can just key in a Lee filter number and it will give you a very close match. You don't get this with Robe unfortunately as I found last month!

Do not buy the Robe units. The VL support for their products is fantastic and its easy to get hold of colour palettes and groups for them so you can just key in a Lee filter number and it will give you a very close match. You don't get this with Robe unfortunately as I found last month!

That really isn't something you should be blaming Robe for! It's not the job of a moving light manufacturer to provide palette files for a variety of console.

I took the VL500 around Europe on its first tour, David Gilmour, it was totally reliable. we had 16 all vertically hung, didnt have a single problem with them, fast, smooth, etc etc, could not praise them more.

Will be an asset to any hire fleet.

Gordon.

Archived