New lighting rig

James Chillman

You could use motorised bars (or hand winched) to enable them to be lowered into the deck to rig, however, you would still need to get at the bars to focus.

For focusing would a scaffold tower be a better option? Of course this depends on having a competent person to rig and de rig the thing as well as good access to the area under the bars. You would also require training in order to use it.

Scaffolding presents a problem! Over a certain height we must employ a company to errect the scaffolding tower. Is there a course that can be done to make me competent?

James

Without knowing details about your insurence policy and LEA etc I cant realy say. I dont know your age so im just guessing that you are 16 or under. While you can go on courses to become competent, in the sense you know what you are doing and can do it safely, many insurence companys will simply not allow you to erect or dismantle scaff towers.

I can't however see any reason why, with the proper training and supervision, you could not use the tower to rig from.

EDIT: as for harneses it could involve having rigging points instaled and wires slung between them to clip into.

cablenet from Slingco

this may well be the best option depending on your venue. I realy have no idea what I am talking about when it comes to these so I will leave somebody else to explain.

Depends. It needs to be a girder or similar capable of taking the dynamic load in N of a "standard" focuser (100kg?) falling of the ladder and dropping X metres, accelerating at 9.8mss. The girder should not have sharp edges to cut into your strops. You should consider shock absorbing lanyards, but these should not be so long as to allow you to hit the floor before it arrests your fall.

In a nutshell, you need professional advice, and a site visit to ascertain what equipment is needed and how it should be used.

I would heavily advise against the use of any permanent intelligent lighting in the rig, just because the lights are able to move themselves does not mean that they willl change their own lamps when they blow, or fix themselves. The art to using a moving light is not just moving it, you need to position it for the specific production and maintain it so that it works.

After seeing how most schools maintain their kit (yearly if that) I can't see that moving lights would be very happy, and moving a moving light with a ladder is not an easy thing to do (especially lamps such as the VL1000 of ETC's thing - which are massive and heavy).

I would also doubt that harnesses would be a viable option - all such systems rely heavily on adequate training and supervision being in place, and many insurance companies and Health and Safety advisors would, I expect, doubt the ability of a child (or person under 16) to be deemed competant in such practices.

I would think that the only way that you could produce a working model where students were allowed to work at height would be some kind of tensioned grid that you can walk on (as mentioned) although certain procedures would still need to be followed and certain supervision required to ensure that items were not going to fall from the rigging area on to people below.

Richard

Archived