Have you ever used an O1V96v2 for a musical?

lifeisacabaret

Hi Guys,

Topic title and tagline pretty self-explanitory...but has anyone ever used an O1V96v2 for the scene muting capabilities in theatre? Im thinking about using one for my production of Bat Boy next year. Itll feed an A&H GL2400 as the main mixer (band, foldback etc), and will be the sub-mixer for the 8 radio mics.

If youve got experience on using the desk for a similar application, id love to know how it worked out for you.

Any and all info greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys.

JG

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've used an 01V96 on its own for a couple of smallish musicals and it works fine even with inputs spread over layers. As a submixer with only 8 RF mics it should be a dawdle, though it also strikes me as a bit of a waste.

Don't forget all the extras the Yamaha will give you...things like several channels of good quality effects, dynamics processing and gate on every channel, delays, etc. etc, with all these things able to be altered scene to scene with presets. Are you sure you only want to run 8 mics through it and use it just for mutes? :D

Bob

Oops...original post wasnt quite as fullsome as it should have been...

Ok, there will be 8 beltpack mics (senn evo300g2), 3 vocal booth mics and one 'special' cast mic (seen evo e935), so, 8 wireless, 4 wired. 5 characters will be permanently mic'd, and the other 3 beltpacks will be spread around as needed. Ill be using the verbs inside the desk (can I have 3 separate ones running? 1 for the belts, one for the booth, and one for the special). Everything will be mixed down to a stereo signal, sent into the main desk.

Any particularly nice verbs youd reccommend in the desk? The show is Bat Boy The Musical if that helps, and I want a relatively natural verb for the belts, with a slightly artifical, processed sound for the booth, and a natural reverb in the special, but with a really long decay time (its for the evangelical priest, who sings a big, mock revival song).

Ah...makes more sense with your extra details.

As for the reverbs, I tend to only use the factory presets as starting points, then adjust various parameters for myself. For a natural sounding one, I generally start with "Reverb Stage" but then play, mainly with the initial delay and total length. Making both of these shorter than the preset seems to me to work well with RF lavs. Depending on the sound I'm after, I'll also play with the HF/LF ratio settings.

The good thing, of course, is that once you get 'verbs you're happy with, these can be stored in your effects library and recalled on the scene presets.

Sorry to be a bit vague...I don't have a mixer in front of me as I type this!

Bob

Yes...with a laptop running Yamaha's Studio Manager software. You can also use this offline to set up the desk in advance so you don't need to waste time with routings etc. when you're actually in the theatre with the board in front of you. You can download the SM software from the Yamaha site and have a play in advance. Make sure you know whether the 01V96 you're getting is the original version or version 2 because that makes a difference for the Studio Manager software.

Bob

Edit: When I hit send I re-noticed the title of this thread...pls disregard my comments about checking V1 vs V2!

How about archiving the scenes for safety etc? Can these be saved outside of the console?

Thanks, and any info at all about this desk in this context would be lovely. Cheers!

Yes,

The settings can be saved in a couple of ways.

You can save the settings by doing a simple MIDI dump of the settings to a midi recorder (sequencer, or something like the Yamaha MDF-3)

Otherwise you could save the settings in an editable form by using the Studio Manager aplication with the 01v96 editor loaded.

You can download the SM + Editor software from Yamaha's Pro Audio website It can also be a useful offline editor for the desk.

James

Studio manager (and USB-MIDI driver that you'll need to actually hook up to the mixer) are available from HERE.

In case you need them, manuals and installation guides for the mixer itself and the Studio Manager software can be downloaded from HERE.

Have fun. The night I downloaded SM (prior to buying a mixer) I lost much of a night's sleep playing!

Bob

Edit: Because it was a result of filling in a form on the Yammy site, the link to the manuals doesn't work directly, but if you fill in 01V96 in the search box it'll take you there.

Hmmm im a little confused. Ive downloaded the Studio Manager and the Driver. I cant install the manager because it gives me an error message, and I cant install the driver because I dont have the console. I wont have the console for almost a year because ill be hiring it, so is there any way I can use the studio manager without having a console?

Hmmm

As lamplighter says, the SM software should run happily without a console (and, indeed, without the driver which is only needed when you link the console).

I've known a lot of people to download and install SM without a problem. As lamplighter says, it could be an OS thing (the Windows version of SM 2 only runs on Win2000 or XP--earlier ones would handle 98). Other than that, all I can think of is to delete everything and do the SM download again in case there was corruption on the first download.

Beyond that, maybe a call to Yamaha support in Milton Keynes?

Bob

Okay, I may see the problem...but maybe lamplighter can confirm.

Reading the Yamaha site, it seems to say that you need to install the 01V96 Editor first, then the SM Host software.

I haven't used the download version since I bought a mixer...which came with a software CD. However, my memory is that version one just gave you a single big download.

Anyhow, that might be it! If lamplighter isn't around, the SM manual might she light on this too.

(Never ask a guy with the disk about downloads!)

Bob

Archived