School

James Chillman

At my school I am no longer allowed to go up laders and scaffolding to rig lighting. Its not just me thats not allowed up its the whole of the teachers aswell(including the caretaker) As you can see this is a major difficulty when trying to set up a lighting rig! Is there anyway that I could be allowed to go up the ladders and scaffolding in school?

James

Just a thought but ...

1 Find out politly what the reasoning was behind this decision - Is this an LEA thing , Union thing or Whatever

2 Look at the risk assesment - Does it say that you can't work at heights without training - if so research into training.

3 Arange a convenient meeting with whoever made this decision

4 Present A: the problems and B: your research into solutions.

5 Accept that the best you might get (and what you might offer against) is having to pay a freelancer to come in and rig the show to your design - as in find out who is local to you, get an idea of how much their daily rate would be - add in all working at heights - rigging - focusing - re r-gging and present these figures to the authority -

You might find you would have a better case for getting a member of staff sent on a working at heights course if you can dfemonstrate that the school would benefit in the long run financialy

Just a suggestion.

Alternativly and without getting passionate about it sugest to them how much you would loose without lighting for productions.

James

If I did a course do you think they would then let me up?

I don't know - It depends on the wording of whatever the risk assesment was that caused the school to bann working at heights by unquallified employees.

But the options are

You fulfil whatever the 'school's' requirements are on the risk assesment are

If they can't class a student as safe then

You sugest a member of staff fulfils whatever the requirements are or

If they won't go to that

You discuss employing a freelancer to work the gigs.

Good Luck

James

A school that I work in occasionally has recently had a clampdown. (There was never a question of pupils working at height anyway, but "school keepers" (that means "caretakers" to you and me) used to be able to rig an access tower ready for my arrival. Now, the school's two towers lurk in storage, and if I need access, a tower is hired in and erected by the hire company. The reason is that the keepers are now working for a private firm (despite being the same people who always worked there), and this firm's insurance policy is different. The change in your situation, James, may be along the same lines. If this means the keepers will now all be sent on "working at height" and "access tower erection" courses, great. If however it means that school funds are soaked up hiring in manpower and equipment time and time again...not so great. Sadly, as the school pays the hire fees, there's no incentive for the premises managemnt company to pay to train their staff...ho-hum.

wow its not just us then!

we had this problem, only caretakers allowed to go up them, however they just spent £8000 on a genie hoist - however still not allowed up it! But as I am only a part time student, wwe can claim that I am working at te school and can use it along with the 5 other caretakers/technicians (not teachers) after we have all been trained

Archived