Talkback for Recording Studio

DSA

Hi,

I know its not stage sound, but I am sure you can help anyway.

I cant find anywhere to get a talkback system to speak from recording studio control room to the performance room, like they do in professional ones.

There is no function for this on the AW4416, and it is obviously reqd. with sound-proof glass between the two rooms!

I suppose I could just rig a normal mic into an input on the desk, and route it to headphones etc - but this is not really very practical - there must be a solution somewhere...

Oh, and I dont want it to be too expensive!

Thanks,

David

Your trying to achieve the same thing we use the other week when we were recording on our cadec.... :stagecrew: : We have a set up which involves the booth being not being near the performance room: talk back and video is somewhat essential.

I am assuming you are using headphones for the artists?? It kinda depends what output you are using for the headphones and the routing of the desk. If you want to stick a mike into the desk you need to route it so the mike goes strait to foldback and not into the mix: im not sure how easy this is on a workstation.

The other option is to get/find a smaller desk (2 channel) and to put the phones output into this desk and the talkback, than output from this desk to the fold. this keeps it all nice and independent.

PS: it is a great desk, but I think tends to lend its self to more locational stuff??

Here's something that might help if doing independent desk and you have £35 to spare: Behringer UB502 - link here from digital village. I've bought a few bits of kit from the croydon branch (where I hail from) in the past and never had a problem.

My MX802A's been a great lil desk - even used as backup to main PA one for a friend of mine's jazz band after his brother knocked a bottle of bubbly over his own 4 mono 4 stereo behringer desk at a posh do we were working on. My dj mixer (3-channel affair) ended up being the main desk for that cos the spillage stopped an inch from my phono interconnects (I was on dj duty that day and wanted to keep the dj kit independent of main mix, just running XLR outs into his desk). Back to the 802, cos I looked after it and it didn't get cained, I've made some great recordings from it (apart from one where the other desk that was doing the live PA mix had hum on it from dodgy circuit internally - not bad cabling, tho cool edit pro's noise reduction filter did a great get rid of 2/3 the hum job seeing as I sampled some of the hum onto MD and filtered it out).

Dave

Archived