projector changing c0mputer resolution

zonino

Hi guys, I have a barco projector here (can't actually get at the thing to find out the model at the moment, its one of the large ones)

anway, every time we plug a c0mputer (laptop or P.C) it changes the resolution that the c0mputer is outputting to 1024*768 and changes the actual settings on the c0mputer as well, both are running X_P,

any suggestions guys?

thanks!

Stan

Hey, how old is the projector? Allot of projectors will resize the image to it's own native resolution if it is larger than it can display (1280x1024 etc). If your Barco is a few years old it probably can can only display images of 1024x768 or lower and is resizing the signal to fit it's native res.

As for changing the output res on the pc, some can only output certain resolutions on their external display output. Some cannot display video embedded in Powerpoint for example on both screens due to the memory available. Are the PC's you are using very new high spec models or "run of the mill"?

I'm not aware of projectors being able to change settings on PC's or Laptops ( I know they can communicate and laptops know the make, model of the projector) but not the projector or screen attached changing the output res.

I think this comes under the category of normal behaviour.

When you plug a display device (LCD, projector, CRT) into a computer running Xp the computer finds out (I dont know how exactly) what the make and model of the display device is. Xp then knows what rwsolutions that device is capable of.

In your screen properties (right click desktop, properties, settings, advanced, monitor tab) you've got a tickbox that says "hide modes this monitor cannot display". So my guess is that if you have your display configured for something Xp discovers the display device can't support, then Xp will change the settings to something the device says it can support.

Try it with the tickbox unticked and see what you get.

Hi guys, I have a barco projector here (can't actually get at the thing to find out the model at the moment, its one of the large ones)

anway, every time we plug a c0mputer (laptop or P.C) it changes the resolution that the c0mputer is outputting to 1024*768 and changes the actual settings on the c0mputer as well, both are running X_P,

any suggestions guys?

thanks!

Stan

I have a similar thing with ny setup but for me it's the computer not the projector!!

I use a Samsung laptop which usuall runs in 1280 x 1024 but when I use the 15pin output the resolution automatically adjusts to 1024 x 768. It's no great problem except that I have to keep resetting the output resolution after I'm finished!

You should however investigate the model number of the Barco and find out the native resolution of the LCD panels inside as with any LCD unit you will only get a decent picture at that native resolution!!

dbuckley has hit the nail on the head - the technology is called "Plug and Play" - you do not need to know information like scan rate, resolution, etc to get a monitor to work, when you plug it in, (I don't know the specifics) that data is obtained and the operating system chooses a mode based on your current preferences.

indeed the most common issue is the internal set up of the display from the pc. to the best of my knowledge the DVI cable is the only cable to talk both ways.....

and fraught with problems over any sort of distance, not easily soldered back together, incapable of more than 1920x1080 without very expensive dual link technology, give me vga anyday!!! (user of a 2048x1536 native TFT connected via good old vga from a standard graphics card...)

indeed the most common issue is the internal set up of the display from the pc. to the best of my knowledge the DVI cable is the only cable to talk both ways.....

and fraught with problems over any sort of distance, not easily soldered back together, incapable of more than 1920x1080 without very expensive dual link technology, give me vga anyday!!! (user of a 2048x1536 native TFT connected via good old vga from a standard graphics card...)

Indeed althought the DVI is Digital and talks cuts out ghosting etc good old RGBHV actually has more bandwidth....

Archived