Martin Enters Laser Market

3guk

So what does everyone think about martin's latest foray into the laser market ??

The laser looks to be of a sturdy build quality, but are they just following every other manufacturer and making as many lighting related products as fast as they can?? That was really what drew me to martin, they made moving lights / scanning lights and that was it, and hence they were good at what they did. I feel with them starting to head in all different directions, the quality of the products we recieve could go downhill.

http://www.ukslc.org/News/Lighting_news/Ma..._Made_Easy.html

It's a shame that the press release doesn't give more information, such as the laser power(s) involved.

Since it's a class 4 device, that implies >500mW total power, so does it have any form of safety device (scanner failure beam cutoff) built in? Does it have definable safe zone(s) to allow 'crowd scanning'?

And of course, how much does it cost?

I guess there'll be one to inspect at PLASA, should be interesting.

it does not say what frequency the scanners are or what the beam diameter is to start with, the wave length of the red diode and it tolerance +/- 5 % means its not that good really, they need to display all the facts :), plus the blue and red are the darkest you can get, £40,000 is alot for what is green laser with a bit of blue and red in it, a product like this should only cost £10,000 and that being nice, if you would like to see a real laser take at look the ones that im involed in @ www.rill.biz

Looks very similar to the unit sold in Singapore by Startech Laser System Pte Ltd known as the Regus Cosmo. They spec it at 1.8 Watt total output, 1.4 Watt balanced white. Scanners are CT6210. Without internal playback but with scanners PSU and ILDA input unit price quoted is about 25K euro.

Looks like the rill.biz unit will clean up ….offering 1.6 watts white light, scanners, power supply and internal programmable playback system with DMX interface … for under £10k.

Red 650nm quoted in the Martin unit spec. is the middle of available red laser diodes 630 being the brightest, 680 the darkest. The best power per dollar is the 650nm units. Beam diameter is going to be typical of low power systems….what is more important is beam divergence… 0.8mrad is quite acceptable (both systems quote the same).

madmac

That was really what drew me to martin, they made moving lights / scanning lights and that was it, and hence they were good at what they did. I feel with them starting to head in all different directions, the quality of the products we recieve could go downhill.

Martin have always been a manufacturer that has a broad range of products. They started of in the DJ market making sound to light rubbish, it was time before they went into the moving head market with the 600 and then later the 500. It is only because those fixtures became the best selling moving heads in the world that they became known for their moving heads. They then went about buying companies from other sectors, Jem and Mach so that they could provide the complete package Light, sound and smoke. So saying that them "heading in different directions" could jeopardise product quality is wrong, they have been all over the market in all sectors for years with great success

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with a number of the technical slatings thus far.

There are a number of better and certainly more cost-effective out there. Namely from German or Czech manufacturers.

Bagsy not the Martin!

correctomundo,

1200 was released first as the profile head, it flopped, they also introduced the 600 at hte same time, massively popular

later on they designed the 500 to complement the 600, and all twas good

Archived