Looking for a specific lantern

mumbles

I have recently seen the kind of light that I want to use in a music show I'm doing, but haven't seen them before except as house lights off the truss on the new series of top gear. I have tried searching for photos but can't find any showing them clearly enough, and can't search for them on google as I haven't a clue what they are called.

They have a large reflector, about 18 inches to 2 feet wide, but its relatively shallow, and only about 4-6 inches deep. I don't know about lamp power, but would assume its about the 750W range. There also appears to be a reflector in front of the lamp, as in beamlights, so the lamp cannot be seen. If anyone has any ideas of what they are called, or where I can hire them (locally to london), that would be great.

Guest lightnix

I think that's just a generic TV type softlight, sometimes known as a "fish-fryer" (switchable between 1.25, 2.5 and 5kW IIRC).

Meanwhile, less than two minutes of :D ing revealed Elstree Light & Power (ELP) as the lighting suppliers (see here) - maybe they can help.

Please don't forget to let us know if you find out what they are :D

I think the OP's actually referring to a different fixture being used on Top Gear. It's closer to a skypan than a softlight, but is a bit more stylised.

I've only seen them on the most recent series.

There are a lot of shots where the camera starts with this light in the foreground of a long shot of the studio, then travels in multiple directions to MCU on the presenters.

Archived