Freelancers

There is an information resource based on the South Coast (Portsmouth) called The Volt (http://the-volt.co.uk) and they cover most topics regarding this....have you tried posting a topic here asking for freelancers? I would tout myself out but I think its against forum rules, so I may send you an IM instead!

Alot of it is word of mouth. The old boy network is live and well :D If you already use freelancers you could ask them for contacts.

I have only once used an agency (at the very beginning and only because I knew the guy who ran it.)

The good thing about freelance recommendations are:

1) We have worked with the freelancer we recommend.

2) If they are crap we look crap so we won't recommend somebody we don't trust.

Guest lightnix

Hello misconductor, welcome to the Blue Room :D

Just one question: Are you a freelancer yourself, planning to become one or looking for some?

In either case, have a look at our Classifieds forum in the Commercial section, where you can advertise both jobs and yourself.

There's Stage Jobs Pro. I've got my details up on there and it generally fires me one or two e-mails a month with jobs that "match my skill set" (sometimes). You could also check out Freelance Show Staff, which has some neat features, although the only work I was ever offered from my entry, was in Telesales :D

We use people from word of mouth or meeting them at other gigs. As others have said, you need to be able to trust them. With CV's we file them. If they send a CV and then come in and say hello they might get a gig if we're desparate. As an employer you really need to know that the freelancer A) knows they're stuff B) is a decent person C)Is trust worthy. Your potentially risking your future on them.

Guest lightnix

I've probably posted it before, but here it is again: Nick's (Very) Basic Guide To Client Seeking...

1. Know roughly what you are going to say (and no, I'm not going to tell you). Rehearse your patter, but not too much, so that it becomes rigid. All you are basically going to ask, is if they would like to see your CV - so relax :D

2. Make 'phone call. Ask for person who books crew. Introduce yourself politely. Have brief chat, to establish whether they are interested in your CV (it should take less than 3-4 mins to do this).

3. Send CV. There are already other threads on this subject, with advice on composition and content, although mine is one side of A4 in length and comes with a short (SPELL CHECKED) covering letter and quick summary of recent "Greatest Hits". Three pages - no more.

4. Call back a week or two later (and no later) to try to meet with your contact. It may take a month or two to find a mutually-convenient date; don't be put off, but don't be pushy either.

5. When you eventually meet them, don't just (unless time is really tight) just start blabbering on about workworkwork - talk about the weather (or something) first for a minute or two and then invite them to ask you some questions.

6. Before you leave (not after you get home), bite the bullet and casually say something like, "So... that's me, really. Would you like me to keep you advised of my free dates, by e-mail, once a month or so?"

7. Assuming the answer is Yes, send a "My Diary (mm/yy)" e-mail to your (Bcc'd) client list, once a month or so, with a brief summary of recent work.

8. Repeat steps 1-7, until a client list of suitable wealth and quality has been constructed (this may take several years), constantly bearing in mind that there are always better (paid) gigs out there somewhere. Seek and ye shall find.

Well my knee jerk reaction to the subject was "When a mummy freelancer and a daddy freelancer love each other very much...."

HOWEVER -

Some professional associations offer a crew database for freelancers - I know in Australia, the Australian Lighting Industry Association has one... Not sure about the british ones though.

Archived