jands event + soft patch

chatterbox

I have a JANDS EVENT.

I want to programme a show that uses 1 x 12 channel dimmer and some leds/ I colours etc.

I want to run dimmer ch 1 - 4 incl onto desk ch 1-4 as normal and then soft patch to use dimmer channels 5 - 10 onto desk channels 31- 36.

This works fine, but as soon as the soft patch has been set then the I-colour that I want to run on desk channels 5 -8 stops working and becomes controlled by channels 31 -34.

Is this something I am doing wrong - or is it the Jands event (which I do hate with a passion) or is is a DMX limitation. Surely the whole point of soft patching is so that you can move control - not lose control of those desk faders....

I have tried going through the DMX out on the dimmer and also running the icolour out of a DMX splitter on the direct out, but it doesnt work....

maybe its just been a long day and I am having a seniors moment????

I know it sounds silly but from reading what you wrote and the manual. It seems that you have got dimers and desk channels reversed on your patch. I say this because if you look at how they are currently set it appears you have patched desk channels 5 - 10 to dimmers 31 - 36. Try reversing the entries in your patch. From the manual I noticed that depending on which of the patch tables you use some of them have ch# then dim but others list the dim# before the channel. Hope this helps. I couldn't find a fault notice from Jands about the patch.

Managed to find a way round this, but I am sure there must be an easier way.

I had no control to the I-colour which was on channels 5-8 on the desk, so I set the dip switches on the icolour to start on channel 37, then soft patched the desk to control channel 37 by desk channel 5.......

seems alot of hazzle....

are you doing the soft patching right?

in the jands event the syntax is something like "desk channel -> dimmer channel" I think...

dont have the desk or the manual here to look, but I am using a jands event 24 quite often (in fact it is the only DMX desk I use)

I certainly got awfully confused the first time I tried to patch a Jands Event. (In a mad rush, at a gig that looked like it was heading down the toilet)

My only real experience of DMX at that point was Zero88 XLS boards, and you patch them by going through the DMX channels, assigning each to a desk channel as you go. On an Event it's the other way around, you go through each of the desk channels in turn, and enter the DMX channels that you want them to address.

It's a different way of thinking, and can catch you out if you don't know what you're doing.

Archived