Images of lighting bridges / catwalks

GRisdale

Hey peeps, I'm trying to find some images of lighting bridges/catwalks that work (to explain to non-theatre types how our new theatre should look). Specifically I need to show how lanterns are mounted on to them. Any URLs or emailed images gratefully received. Can't seem to find any on the search engines.

Cheers,

Gareth.

No photo's at hand but here is a drawing I did for a venue a few years ago.

Thankyou for that - will very useful, particularly the clear marking of 600mm between the rails to allow for a lantern. In the current design for our new venue the plans show a gap of 300mm (between the box section rails!) - with a lantern drawn at a completely different scale so that it fits! Can now go into the meeting armed with simple to understand drawings for simple people to understand...

Thankyou also to Ian at Total Solutions who yesterday sent me some photos of catwalks at the ENO.

Trusty Blue Room strikes again.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Glad to be of help!

Just to explain, the extended catwalk is to allow for followspots, which is why the top rail is lowered so that the operator can comfortably operate the spot.

and then there is this which I posted in another thread:

A few years ago I was involved in the renovation (there's a whole new can of worms) of a concert venue in Sydney, the Hordern Pavilion. As with many of these construction jobs, it was a 'design & construct' contract where the builder is also responsible for the architect. And I learnt the magic words that would stop all discussions and get peoples attention: Not fit for purpose. This refers to part of the contract that will state that the final building must be fit for the purpose it was build for.

This got me out of a lot of difficult discussions such as the amount of power available back-stage - was 200A now 1600A, rigging capabilities - was less than 5Tonne now more than 45Tonne, specific PA rigging areas (can't they just stack speakers? NO!) and even the position of the public toilets which where on the side of the stage (it's a rock & roll venue, think about it).

My advice: Check the contract and use the magic words: not fit for purpose.

Archived