Modular Cuboids

Hello,

During improvised drama workshop and practical teaching sessions,

I have a need for a particular type of set.

A number of readily portable 'blocks' that can be moved around,

sat upon, stood upon and locked together to form shapes as required.

Steeldeck, metrodeck etc. is way too heavy and cumbersome for this purpose.

I'm searching for a company that would be able to supply the following:

- lightweight (easy one person lift) modular, stackable and lockable cubes or cuboids

- perhaps made out of a fancy polymer rather than wood

- approx. 3'x3'x2'

- durable enough to be kicked around by drama students.

Does anyone have any experience of similar?

Cheers.

The only thing that I have seen that is similar is a system my old school used to use. They had hollow wooden blocks, with foru sides and a top. But they don't have a base, and so are unsuitable for stacking to create 4 foot high sections.

I don't know where they bought them from, but I'm going in there tomorrow, so I'll ask the caretakers if they know, and I'll try to take some photos of the blocks.

I'm not sure if this is what you're after, but seems to match the description.

the stage systems stuff, as far as I remember isn't cuboid. It consists of a mild steel frame and a lid, in various sizes. If you're after something more fluid, to be used during performances, then might I suggest getting them made? 2x2 frame 9-12mm sides, two handholes cut in two opposing sides. Then they can be painted, booted, stood on, stacked etc.

Really not hard to manufacture either. I had a load at my last workplace.

Thank you for the input so far.

I have been drawing plans to make these. (Would you suggest ply for the surfaces, WiLL?)

I was just curious to know if there is a commercially available alternative, particularly if it has features that I hadn't thought of and was available in a range of sizes off the shelf.

Archived