LIPA/unis

Hi all!

Just had my LIPA interview on Saturday and now seriously considering it as my first choice (as I type I'm just checking the application form over!) over Guildhall and Central. I was just wondering if there were any past students or employers of past LIPA students who could give comment? The course sounds a really good mix of all aspects of technical with good facilities but was wondering if anyone could give me their views, insight and experience? And does anyone think that not being in London is in any way a disadvantage when doing this career path? Cheers for your time!

It depends if you wanna be specific or not. There are other courses which are a lot more specific which will teach you a lot more then the general courses. If you want specific Stage Manager/ Lighting Design courses then have a look at Rose Bruford college.

It is perhaps worth letting you know that LIPA is not accredited by the National Council for Drama Training - thus (and I think I'm right in saying this) you do not automatically gain equity status once you qualify. This also means that they are not "checked over" in the same way as the other drama schools. See the FAQ in this forum area for a summary of all the courses available.

It is perhaps worth letting you know that LIPA is not accredited by the National Council for Drama Training - thus (and I think I'm right in saying this) you do not automatically gain equity status once you qualify.

I am lead to belive that the reason that LIPA is NOT accredited is due to the fact that, unlike other institutions, it has not been open long enough (10 years I belive).

I dare say that when it has been open long enough it will get accredited......

There is an argument that qualifying from an Equity-accreditted stage-management course gives potential employers a clearer view of what you're likely to know, though if the reason LIPA isn't accreditted is because of the course is too new, the argument is clearly flawed. With some employers, where you trained does count, and this is regardless of equity status. I had one job where I was told that I was the only stage manager she'd ever interviewed who wasn't from a London drama school!

I felt more confident doing an accreditted course because I felt that employers would know what my course meant. However, The Equity thing is a bit of a red herring these days, as I understand that if you get a relevant job, then Equity will welcome you in, should you choose to join (though I can't help feeling that 1% of your salary going to the organisation that fought for that salary in the first place isn't too much to ask).

Training isn't necessarily the biggest factor I consider when employing stage managers (and we do generally hire people who haven't been working for that long) - their manner/temperament, versatility and evidence of ability to learn, previous experience that shows they're probably serious about wanting this job...etc etc all play a part.

My tuppence-worth. Not sure if it helps...

• 5 weeks later...

The lighting and stage management courses at Rose Bruford are both accredited.

I would suggest Rose Bruford, try an open day. I applied and went to open days for both welsh college and Rose Bruford and there seemed no comparison between them with Rose Bruford winning all round.

Try this link which will give you a list of all courses accredited by NCDT.

I would advise going to as many open days that you can, and choose a college that suits you and you feel comfortable at. Check the course content and make sure it is the type of course you want to do. There is no point doing a mainly stage-management course if you really want to do lighting!

Good luck!

Archived