recommended reading

TeeJay

Evening all,

wondered if you guys and gals have any recommendations for finding out more about setting up a PA

To put it in context, I have been touring with a bunch of music students who had very little knowledge of how or why the cables trail back to me at the other end of the hall behind a mixer.

What I'm looking for is books, magazine articles and internet sites that provide an introduction to the practical side of sound.

They don't need design notes, just an overview of setting up mixers, amps and speakers and the difference between monitors and PA speakers

Of course, I need to have this ready as soon as and of course I'm unable to do my own research this weekend.

Just a few pointers - don't need much for them.

Many thanks for any help.

Off to the next show I go, hey ho, hey ho . . . . (repeat to fade)

not for the first time I would recommend "Live Sound Mixing" by Duncan R Fry. It really is a Dummies Guide to mixing, tells you what the kit does, why it's needed and how to do it, in language that's just technical enough to be authentic, without being too technical for non-technical people. I got my copy through PLASA (www.plasa.org) and I notice there is also a book called "Live Sound for Musicians" listed as well. I've not read that one, but it might be worth a look.

While we're on the subject of recommended reading on Sound, can anyone recommend a good book with information about psycho-acoustics? (and does the spell-checker really know that word, or has it ignored it because its got a hyphen in it?)

Paul Drage

Audio Engineering for Sound Reinforcement by Eargle and Foreman (also available through PLASA website) has a chapter on psychoacoustics. Also, if you can get there, it is well worth signing up for the d&b 1-day training seminar, which deals with the principals of speaker and system design, including psychoacoustic elements. It's not product-related, I.e they don't try and sell you their kit, although of course there are a few EOs and E3s knocking about for "demonstration purposes", they don't charge you money for it, they ply you with refreshments, and they even bought us all a beer at the end of the day. And I learnt stuff. Only snag is their base is near Stroud in Gloucestershire, but it's a really nice day out.

Archived