Tool advice

Hey there,

I have just got my first job as a theatre tech, so am wanting to expand my tool collection. I am looking for a offset ring ratchet spanner set and was just wondering if anyone could suggest the best brand to get them from. I am still a student so my budget is not large, but I want a set that will last me a while.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Helena :o

agreed, the quad spanners are great!

another useful tool is a podger, also available from flints, has a big "pokey" bit useful for aligning stuff up, and a ratchet on the other end (most commonly a 17mm/19mm but they do others)

I'll add my voice to the recommendations for a quad spanner. I bought mine a few years back, and along with a multimeter and a #2 Pozi screwdriver (1000v VDE, of course!) it's one of the most-used tools in my case.

see if you can have a look at the new Flints catalogue - they are now offering basic toolkits aimed at different areas, eg Stage Manager's kit, Carpenters kit, Electrician's kit, with a good selection of useful things discounted from the "buy individually" price. If you've already got some bits and pieces, probably not the best way of adding to that, but if you're starting from scratch, could be a good thing. they are to be found on page 145 of the catalogue.

for things like the quad or podger, flints are the only place I've been able to find the things, they import them from Japan. someone else may know different?

for things like the quad or podger, flints are the only place I've been able to find the things, they import them from Japan. someone else may know different?

There were some alternative suppliers for podgers mentioned in this thread (about podgers) not so long ago.

Sean

x

Hey Helena,

Glad to hear you got a job with a theatre, glad to see some other Ents Crew getting out and about. I would suggest the Quads stuff, tis very good, but having a set of ratchet spanners, an AJ and a Podger I would suggest you go for an AJ, as most jobs can be done with an AJ and a gerber. Then can also use a 17/19 podger for steel deck legs.

Good luck with your job.,

Kris

A warning about quad spanners.

They are great but when worn become a hazard. I first discovered this when at the top of a set of 5m Zarges ladders tightening a scaff clamp. Basically the ratchet wears out with use and slips when you put a lot of pressure on it. Not to bad if you are on the deck as the worst you can do is skin your knuckles. At height it can throw you off balance if leaning into a job. I now use a "proper" spanner in those circumstances.

Quad spanners are great but monitor their condition.

Second Renny here,

They are a great invention BUT do have a shelf life and can fail spectacularly slamming ur knuckles into whatever happens to be lying near (in my case a steeldeck with alternative metal grid top! Ouch!

Poppadom

you can also get AJ Podgers

Sounds great. Where?

believe it or not.....Flints. (page 157 of new blue catalogue. also slotted podgers, curved podgers, standard ratchet podgers, long reach podgers, folding podgers, 1/2" drive ratchet podger, and podgalugs.....

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the Flints website? It keep either taking ages to load pages, or just timing out.

Just wondered if its the site which is falling over, or just my net connection.

Flints site seems ok to me.

Regarding Anchor Supplies; Its a lot of pot luck what you find, and a lot of stuff is imperial/whitworth etc so look at what you buy. That said, if you are passing by its worth a look. The Ripley site has APCs, RPGs for sale sometimes, and all manner of random military guff. If you do buy used stuff its pretty much unbreakable (the new stuff varies in quality!)

In short, big toy box, full of big toys.

Archived