Bass amp vs. sub woofer

jony.reynolds

Hey,

My church in Croydon have a little problem with bass output, there isn't much of it!

At the moment we have two peavey full range speakers and a smallish bass amp which is one of the band members.

What we need to decide is weather to get a sub woofer or a bass amp for the church which would be bigger than the current one.

If we were to get a sub we would need to get an x-over as there is no sub out of the mixer.

The other thing to consider is that our system has to be unloaded out of a cupboard and set up every Sunday with a team of 2.

I think we would prefer a sub as the whole mix would be going through it, not just a bass guitar.

Normally we have 1 guitar, 1 bass, 1 piano, 1 synth and 3 vocal mics.

What would be better? Could you also advise on what sub/bass amp to get. thanks

Which Peavey speakers to you currently use? Peavey do a range of bass bins, most of which have built in cross-overs so you simply daisy chain your tops through the new subs and (so long your amps are up to the job) it just works.

Tek

to answer your earlier question - if the only sound source with bass content is the bass guitar, then the simplest way of increasing it by far is to do what you've done and get a bigger one. However, (as a bass player myself) why does it need to be louder? Guitar, bass, keys and no drums doesn't sound very 'heavy' to me. I have a 400W huge system that has 15" speakers and makes your stomach go 'duh' when you hit a low string, I also have a small combo with two 10" speakers, and runs about 70W tops. For most venues, this is fine - maybe the problem is that the bass players existing amp/speaker system is just not that good? maybe your new one will solve the problem.

For what it's worth, sticking a bass through the PA works really well IF the pa is able to cope with it - from my own experience of the peavey systems with subs, they don't work quite so well!

The thing was that we are in a large school hall with tall cielings and we weren't really feeling the rumble that sounds really nice. I also forgot to include Drums (thats were I play!) But it is bout now and 300 watts should be fun anyway. Thanks

Archived