marquee safe loading

andyparcans

has anyone have any info on safe loading on clear span marquee`s

we have always worked to approx 80kg per section on the 100mm type ali section member ,loading across 2 pionts using gada clamps and span sets. B-)

we have flown tri lite spans down centre of marquee`s hung from 4x load points and have had no problems.

but we worked on a job where the lighting was all hung from just 1 section. they hung approc 2x bar 6 par cans and 8x mac 500 +strobes etc you could see a phisical bend in the marquee, we complained but told it was acceptable!!!!!by a joker of a tekki.. :nerd:

your thoughts please

Would the SWL of the marquee be stamped on the frame itself? Or if not, supplied in a manual/data sheet with the marquee, whether bought from a manufacturer or the hire supplier? If you can't get the information from them, then the manufacturer would be the next call.

Hth,

Peter.

Would the SWL of the marquee be stamped on the frame itself? Or if not, supplied in a manual/data sheet with the marquee, whether bought from a manufacturer or the hire supplier? If you can't get the information from them, then the manufacturer would be the next call.

Hth,

Peter.

I think you'll find that the manufacturers will say that you should not load them at all as they are designed to support only their own weight in certain weather conditions. A friend of mine worked a show where the refreshment marquee became a refreshment kite one night.

The last show I worked on in a marquee all the lighting had its own legs to take the weight, though it was fastened to the frame to increase stability

• 2 weeks later...

I'm lighting in a marquee next week, and I have been advised to use self supporting tri-lite, so as not to actually load anything on the marquee itself, because as 'w/robe' quite rightly said - marquee structures are designed to hold the weight of the canopy - not to hold the weight of a whole lighting rig!

You can get away with hanging lightish things such as emergency lights, but not much else.

Last year doing this marquee gig, I accidently managed to run 7 Mac 250's off of one emergency lighting ring :D - I wouldn't recomend that! It took me ages to spot the mistake... I felt foolish and shall never be let to forget that tragicly stupid incident! So also a good idea not to do that!

I'm lighting in a marquee next week, and I have been advised to use self supporting tri-lite, so as not to actually load anything on the marquee itself, because as 'w/robe' quite rightly said - marquee structures are designed to hold the weight of the canopy - not to hold the weight of a whole lighting rig!

plus snow loading, wind loading etc.

Archived