Brisbane, Australia Fly Tickets

Sim

am I looking at rigging or dogging?

If it was counterweight or hemp flys, I would say you could get away with nothing.

If you are talking about motorised flys and actually rigging scaff etc - I would say Intermediate Rigging to be safe.

Dogging is basically inspection and selection of the correct rigging gear and spotting for an operator who cannot see the load. Rigging is the rest.

Ah got it - " does anyone in Brisbane know where you can get information on obtaining a competency certificate in stage flying, rigging etc.?"

Isn't English a wonderful language...............

Aussies have there own english B-)

Tell me about it, I dread working with foreign crews because we use some strange terms in AU.

Anyway, good luck with the application process - make sure you put in your application early - AU has all these new Industrial Relations reforms, so I think the DIR will be quite busy.

I'd be very nervous about anyone with just a piece of paper walking in and operating anything above my head.

I suggest you get in touch with some of the local venues, such as QPAT, get some crew experience and talk to the flyman and the riggers. That's where you learn what to do, how to do it safely and then how to get the piece of paper that shows you are qualified. There are no safe short-cuts.

There are no safe short-cuts.

Um - Australian Certificates of Competency are examined, both practically and theoretically - a certificate of competancy is exactly that - a certification indicating that you are competent at performing the work - usually they are examined at the end of a rigging course unless you get on the job training... And I assume (by looking at the OP's profile) that the reason the OP wants a Cert of Compentency is because they are comming to AU to do a job in Brisbane - hence they are already experianced.

If it was counterweight or hemp flys, I would say you could get away with nothing.

Um - Australian Certificates of Competency are examined, both practically and theoretically - a certificate of competancy is exactly that - a certification indicating that you are competent at performing the work

Michael,

You are contradicting yourself here..... You have to be really careful making statements like your first quote.

And if you had checked the OP profile, you would have seen he is based in Brisbane and not coming ( with 1 'm') to Brisbane for a job. He is probably trying to get started in the industry, already doing some work for CPC Productions, and should get the right sort of advice: get trained and get experience in the specifics of entertainment rigging, then start looking for certificates.

Michael,

You are contradicting yourself here..... You have to be really careful making statements like your first quote.

Not contradicting - just stating that you can (at least down here in the bottom end, and it looks the same in the top end) do counter and hemp flys without certification. It does not mean he is safe to do so unless he gets some training - my statements were based on answering his questions - where can he get a riggers certificate, and which one would he need.

And if you had checked the OP profile, you would have seen he is based in Brisbane and not coming ( with 1 'm') to Brisbane for a job. He is probably trying to get started in the industry, already doing some work for CPC Productions, and should get the right sort of advice: get trained and get experience in the specifics of entertainment rigging, then start looking for certificates.

I admit to failing to check the profile (and the accidental spilling mistake).

However all I stated was that the piece of paper that the person involved would be waving around actually involves being tested for competency. The only way you can really get a riggers certificate here is to do a course on rigging (actually, to get a riggers cert you usually need to do a course on dogging, then one on rigging), unless you are lucky enough to work for a company which has registered trainers to supervise 'on the job' type training (very unlikely). The guidelines for establishing competency in Australia don't leave much room for 'on the job' - a crime in my opinion...

Archived