ETC Congo

deonlot

I'd like to chat with poeple re Congo. Have just purchased one and would like discuss a few technicalities. Awesome desk.

We're only using the drama side but hope to start getting some Movers as budget allow.

Guest lightnix

Hi deonlot, welcome to the Blue Room :)

There have already been quite a few threads mentioning or discussing the Congo, so you may not get a lot of replies to this one - sorry ;)

Try having a little dig through the Lighting forum, using the Search Function, you may find that some of your questions have already been answered ;) If not, then feel free to ask away, but preferably with some specific details of the info you're after :blink:

I'm using one, be nice to discuss what people who are using the congo in anger think of it.

try this, hold down a flash button, now try and use anything other than the number pad or an encoder. Now tell me what you think?

oh and does yours regularly only boot into offline mode?

Hello -

The flash button limitation is something that we have corrected in the upcoming v4.2 software.

If your console regularly starts up offering Offline operation, then you may have a problem inside the console (loose cable, bad connection) that prevents the system from seeing the security dongle on boot. I would highly suggest contacting our technical support office in London either to troubleshoot this problem or to have the console repaired.

Their number is +44 (0)20 8896 1000.

Thanks -

Sarah Clausen

Controls Product Manager

Electronic Theatre Controls, Inc.

When is the new update scheduled for release?

Will it be able to save screen settings?

I'm using one, be nice to discuss what people who are using the congo in anger think of it.

try this, hold down a flash button, now try and use anything other than the number pad or an encoder. Now tell me what you think?

oh and does yours regularly only boot into offline mode?

Using Congo "not in anger" - no problems booting - saving has been "odd" - lost a cue I knew I had saved... :blink:

The flash button limitation is something that we have corrected in the upcoming v4.2 software.

Snip!

Thanks -

Sarah Clausen

I'm in regular contact with Jeremy. The dongle (shall we just say I raised my eyebrows when I saw that under the lid) problem crops up (intermittently) when the desk is unplugged for any length of time. Is that why your going over to an external UPS?

shall we say Im not a fan, and considering I'm doing is what I would consider development work.... my report of the flash button 'limitation' was met by embarrassment. Obviously several years is not long enough do develop a new desk. Or do all Avab desks fail when attempting such simple functions?

I'm not a happy camper.

PS. by 'in anger' I meant actually using one for shows. What sort of shows are you doing with it?

shall we say Im not a fan, and considering I'm doing is what I would consider development work.... my report of the flash button 'limitation' was met by embarrassment. Obviously several years is not long enough do develop a new desk. Or do all Avab desks fail when attempting such simple functions?

Seems to be an ETC thing. There are so many bugs and problems on an Obsession II ... Ever encountered the 16-bit fade 'limitation' ?

On the obssesion ? never used one, thankfully!

Although the Congo has an interesting 16 bit... thing. The encoders 'accelerate' by default, so when you move them quickly they respond even faster, making your movers fly around almost uncontrollably. Turned that bit of idiocy off right away.

Has anybody actually read the manual ( shudder ) enough to notice the missing button? Well actually its there, just labelled differently on the desk, and it does something completely different.

And does anybody understand how to fan dynamic attributes and then get them to save in a preset? I'm having no joy, and the manual is cryptic at best. Its very frustrating when the fan button becomes so little use!

Interestingly, I heard two people ask about some of andrews comments at abtt - "which buton is the one that people are complaining about?" says the chap having a demo, "I've heard......." and strange glazed expression on the stand peoples face. The power of the blue room!

Replacing one unfinished desk with another is not my idea of fun! Even though with a Strand people would be able to use the darn thing, instead of staring at it, swearing at it, and then calling me.

There are days when I want my 520 back!

EDIT:

Today is one of those days! I discovered that the Grand master doesnt work propperly....Maybe my desk is a lemon, but I pull the grand master down and parcans are still flashing away in an Intensity dynamic.... poot.

Anyone else?

• 3 weeks later...

Bump!

But seriously folks!

Is there anybody out there who has a congo and is willing to admit it :( ?

Would be nice to chat to people who are using one and compare ways of getting the most out of the desk.

And of course try and provide some sort of picture of the desk for the folks thinking about getting one.

G'day All,

I Know a few people who have similar problems to all the above.

Haven't had a chance to play with the new strand option yet, but all the dialogue and literature I have had/read on it, would lead me to believe that it is a mid range (possibly strand 300) replacement, not really up there with the power of the 500 series or indeed the supposed power of a congo.

Maybe the rock and roll console suppliers should combine forces with theatre console suppliers to produce a desk that can be fully mutli purpose, rather a rock and roll desk with aspects of theatre (such as linear cue-stack) or a theatre desk with aspects of rock and roll (pallets, busking ability). especially with some of the current trends, I.e more LED/intelligent lighting/media servers

ta

Tank

Archived