Sound mixer for recording studio

Suzette

Does the computer have Firewire (most Macs do)? If so then it might be worth looking at one of the Mackie or Alesis consoles with a Firewire interface. The consoles themselves are analogue but they contain analogue to digital convertors to allow them to feed a computer.

There are so many choices around at the moment so have a very good think about what you want to do before commiting yourself.

Cheers

James.

Jamesperrett's last post is probably the best advice. All we can do here is tell you what gear is good or bad, but there are huge choices now and, without a deep understanding of your operation, it's hard to give meaningful advice.

...of course the other trend now is to devices that LOOK like mixers, but which are just control surfaces for your computer DAW!

Bob

Have you considered looking at a mixer-less solution using external interfaces only and then mixing 'in the box' rather than using out board stuff and mixers. I think this gives you a good control of automation and effects. If you need to use faders then you can get control surfaces but personally I find a dual screen setup adequite for the purpose of mixing. Personally I would want to be considering monitoring setups given extra cash as well as higher quality A-D conversion.

P.S. Look at Logic or ProTools!

EDIT. You could always use a cheap analouge desk for the purposes of artist monitoring and studio sound control.

Archived