Requirements for Testing/Inspection

Hi all,

Just found the forum and it all makes very interesting reading!

I have been involved in am-dram for quite a while (not done much for the last few years though) and am pretty into my gig lighting. Up to now it has all been very ad-hoc for friends, family etc. I do the lighting for an outdoor festival which started off small and this year has grown to 2000 people. It is a music festival that starts off in the day then goes through into the night. Due to the size of the event the local council are now becoming more involved and quite rightly they are asking for certifications etc. Can anyone help me with the following:

-Does the rig need to be inspected at all? (If no then you can stop reading now :) )

-What qualifications does the tester/inspector need to have to sign off on the rig I set up (Part P?) Its all just generic LED Par64s, Martin kit etc etc nothing too crazy

-Given that I want to move into do more of this (although I would be a mug to give up my day job) what route could I take (if it is at all possible) in order to be able to carry out and sign off inspections myself - and does anyone know where I could do this part time (was very interested in the thread on the accelearted courses at technique training)

I hope that all makes sense - I did a look through the topics but please forgive if this has been answered before and I am being an idiot!!!

Many thanks for any help

My local council require the power supply to be tested by a qualified electrician and the portable kit used to have a PAT certificate. There are no legal requirements for issuing PAT certificates, as it's just a way of helping to prove you test the equipment regularly, but you'd need to show that the person doing the testing knew what they were doing. In other words, some sort of training is necessary.

For us, the power usually comes from local supplies which, if they are on council land get tested anyway, or if on private land we pay to have an firm of electrical contractors test and certificate. If we are hiring in generators, we would expect some form of certification with them. All our gear is PAT certificated anyway, as is any lighting/sound we hire in.

Other local authorities may have other requirements.

HTH

Are you just doing the lighting, or the electrical installation as a whole? If the latter, start by reading:

BS7909:1998 "Code of practice for design and installation of temporary

distribution systems delivering a.c. electrical supplies for lighting,

technical services and other entertainment related purposes"

BS7671:2001 "Requirements for electrical installations. IEE Wiring

Regulations. Sixteenth edition" still applies

BS EN 60529:1992 "Specification for degrees of protection provided by

enclosures (IP code)" is useful for outdoor events

Obvioulsy equipment should be PAT tested.

As far as I'm aware Part P will not apply.

As ever speak to your licensing officer who should know all the requirements (both electrical & other safety e.g. rigging/inspection).

Are you just doing the lighting, or the electrical installation as a whole? If the latter, start by reading:

As ever speak to your licensing officer who should know all the requirements (both electrical & other safety e.g. rigging/inspection).

Am awaiting feedback from licensing officer so hopefully that will shed more light. I plan to run the lighting gear from a hired in generator (HSS), everything that plugs into the generator will be mounted, wired, controlled by me.

Many thanks for those docs - will order them up and find some reading time!

Archived