Projecting a *working* clock

Tomo

Just been handed a stunner of a problem by my boss - he wants to project a 1m high working analogue clock from 14m away.

Unfortunately, the room is too bright and the throw is too long to use a data projector, so I'm currently thinking 5 degree Source4 750W with *something* in the gate.

The question is - what?

Obviously I can get a variable-speed double gobo rotator, but that'll only give me one hand, and synchronising these to the actual time over any significant period is going to take some doing.

Budget is as yet undetermined, as we're in the "Is this even possible?" stage, but we obviously can't go too high.

Oh yeah - we want three of 'em.

Been there, done that...

Derksen make a range of projectors that you can put a clock mechanism in the gate of, you can also put a custom gobo in with your logo on.

Not sure who sells then in the UK, I've only ever used them on architectural projects for a company called I-vision, who'd probably sell you one.

Regards

Tim

Ok, This is not as much of a deal as you think.

We have 2 x clock modules that fit into the gobo slots of lamps.

I can't lay my hands on them at the moment but they are in the warehouse.

They were made by optikinetics and are fairly accurate once they are set.

We used them to project clocks onto buildings for New Year.

We used them with 1.2k MSR followspots, with additional cooling and throw distances were 30 - 60m. They worked very well, this should be a easy one for you to achieve.

I'll find the units and post more when I have it.

PM me if rental is an option.

Thanks guys!

The Optikinetics K4 just isn't bright enough - 5200 lm would only give us improved contrast over our data projectors.

Looks like a Derksen GL700MSD-EL is the one we want, with a clock from DHA.

The lens is still an issue though - I'm after 4-5 degrees, Derksen only go down to around 10.

Steve - We're only after purchase!

I'll have to call Opti and see if they can do something for a more 'normal' lantern.

I wouldn’t rule out an Opti 4K entirely (especially with one of the Doctarlux lenses), Opti tend to be pretty conservative (actually make that realistic!) about the lumens compared to other companies. I've certainly used our K4 to project logos over 10m in high ambient light levels for trade show use, and it easily looks as bright as a 1.2k profile spot and gobo.

Alternately I seem to remember, one New Years Eve, seeing a laser being used as an analogue clock (presumably custom software via ILDA) maybe this might be an option?

I think DHA had a real time gobo rotator based clock - involving a clock face gobo in the gate and two glass clock hand gobos in a twin spin. Don't know if they still make it post Rosco merger.

I think DHA had a real time gobo rotator based clock - involving a clock face gobo in the gate and two glass clock hand gobos in a twin spin. Don't know if they still make it post Rosco merger.

As MattH says, DHA do still do several clock effects. Either a double gobo rotator. Link to catalogue below

DHA PDF Moving effect catalogue

Or they have a dedicated unit called the Derksen Cloc, not much info on the site but link is below

Derksen Clock

Guest lightnix
...the room is too bright and the throw is too long to use a data projector, so I'm currently thinking 5 degree Source4 750W...
My first thought is that if the room is that bright, then an S4 probably won't cut it either.

I'm surprised that you say the room is too bright for a data projector (unless it's close to daylight conditions), there are some pretty ferocious ones in very small packages out there now. Would it be possible to rear-project? I'm no projectionist, but one metre high lettering shouldn't need a huge amount of throw, should it? :)

From the left-field, and if the DHA idea doesn't work out (look at the Juliat discharge profiles if you need more lumens that a 750W S4):

I seem to recall that the Coemar NAT TM had dual rotating/ indexing gobos, both of which were in focus simultaneously (i.e. you couldn't morph between them).

The 4kW version was available in 5' as standard.

IF the indexing always takes shortest path (and you'd need to check this) then a desk which handles time of day events should be able to send a new position to the minute hand every, well, umm, minute. The hour hand could be updated either once on the hour, or every couple of minutes.

I think you'd have to buy a second hand NAT, but it should hit your brightness concerns.

I'm surprised that you say the room is too bright for a data projector (unless it's close to daylight conditions), there are some pretty ferocious ones in very small packages out there now. Would it be possible to rear-project? I'm no projectionist, but one metre high lettering shouldn't need a huge amount of throw, should it? :mods:
The place has a glass ceiling, out to daylight. 'Tis nasty!

I'm pretty much sorted out though now - a Derksen 575 or 700 with clock and the longest lens they have, moving the lantern a bit closer to the wall - hang it from a stick rather than bolt it to the opposite wall as originally planned.

Got list prices, so we can give the client a ballpark figure for them to work out whether to give the go-ahead.

Apparently it's a fairly permanent install anyway, which pretty much rules out data projectors.

Archived