520i and DMX universes

b1nuzz

Hi

Right, show coming up, and the hire company have recommended that I use 2 DMX universes. I have no idea about universes other than that they have 512 channels each. At present I have 7 moving head lights, which they said to put on one of the universes and all the other DMX units, eg chroma zone's and pixel-lines etc etc to go on the other universe with the generics.

The theatres that I am touring to, only have one DMX output on the stage, so I could use this in the first universe, but I assume I would have to run a long DMX cable to the stage from the desk for the other universe.

On the 520i, are the universes always active, eg, if I select channel 513 it would be the first channel on the second universe? Is this correct? If so, how do you address a fixture past 512? I think im probably wrong on that one.

If that proves to be all too complicated for me (which is quite possible) are there likely to be many problems with me just linking the whole lot on one DMX line.

The movers are all Martin Mac Range, with the 3 pin DMX so I would have to put jumpers on them all.

Im really confused guys.

Any help will be great.

Thanks

Guest mattladkinlx

Hi there,

To answer the first question, yes you will have to run a long cable!

To the second - all universes should be active. If not go into the console set-up screen and in the top left there is a box defining the address of the outputs. Make sure the first is set to 1_512 and the second 513_1024

To address fixtures on the second universe treat them as the same as the first universe (I.e DMX 513 will be address 1 on the fixture)

To the third - if you have less than a total of 512 channels then stick it all on 1 universe, if not then you will have to go for 2 universes to make things as simple as possible.

If you really dont want to use 2 universes you may have to look at duplicating addresses for fixtures that will do the same function (I.e pairing the DMX addresses) but this is probably more complicated than just sticking in another cable!

Hope this helps,

Matt

Brilliant.

This is kind of what I guessed at but I thought id better ask. I was told it was easier to split to different universes, just to keep things 'tidy'.

Are there advantages of this which im missing?

I will get it in under 512 channels, just, it will be a total of about 500.

Also, slightly off topic but related to same show, I have been advised that there is a big difference between the 520 and the 520i when it comes to controlling movers. Is it likely to cause me problems using lots of movers with a 520 as opposed to the 'I' version?

Thanks

There are advantages to putting movers on a different universe to dimmers, even if you do have enough channels to put everything in one universe.

The mains ones are:

Redundancy - If one universe fails (the first splitter dies, or a cable gets unplugged say), you don't lose everything.

Simplified patching - On some desks and rigs it's easier to patch to different universes, as you've less to keep in your head. Also, some fixtures can only be addressed to certain ranges and values (eg Alphapacks do 1,4,7,...,28), which may make it difficult to squeeze them all into one universe.

Compatibility - Some fixtures just don't play nicely with others on the same cable. This can almost always be solved by putting them on their own branch of a splitter, but if you've got enough universes to give them their own it saves the cost of a splitter.

Also, slightly off topic but related to same show, I have been advised that there is a big difference between the 520 and the 520i when it comes to controlling movers. Is it likely to cause me problems using lots of movers with a 520 as opposed to the 'I' version?

Someone's giving you bad info. The 520 has a smaller trackball than the "I" version, and the case and keys are different colours, plus the case is a little less nicely shaped, plus I think the processor speed is a little less, but they run the same software and have all the same functions. So unless the fact that the desk is grey not blue is going to cause you offence, no problems! I went from a 520i to a 550 and nothing in terms of moving lights is the slightest bit different.

So unless the fact that the desk is grey not blue is going to cause you offence, no problems!

Oh OK, that could save alot of hassle. Am I likely to be able to take that as read then?

Compatibility - Some fixtures just don't play nicely with others on the same cable

I did think about that, but most of the stuff is Martin.

If one universe fails (the first splitter dies, or a cable gets unplugged say), you don't lose everything.

Thats true as well. I may go with the two universe idea then, in a complete reversal of my original plan.

Arghh, the mind boggles with options and questions.

Ben

What's the difference in processors between the 520 and 520i?

If I remember correctly the preset focus group facility in Tracker will only work with Pentium processors, not 486s, therefore you can't use them on an non-I version of the desk.

What's the difference in processors between the 520 and 520i?

If I remember correctly the preset focus group facility in Tracker will only work with Pentium processors, not 486s, therefore you can't use them on an non-I version of the desk.

That's true, but I think some (if not all) non-I consoles have Pentium processors, I know my 550 (non-I) has a Pentium in it - as far as I remember the non-I versions have Pentiums, the I versions have P2 processors. According to the Strand webpage info on the 520i, it has a P2 in it so chances are the 520 will have a Pentium and so preset focus groups should work.

That's true, but I think some (if not all) non-I consoles have Pentium processors, I know my 550 (non-I) has a Pentium in it - as far as I remember the non-I versions have Pentiums, the I versions have P2 processors. According to the Strand webpage info on the 520i, it has a P2 in it so chances are the 520 will have a Pentium and so preset focus groups should work.

That sounds about right. I used to tour a 430 (Don't think they made many of them) which had a 486 processor originally but was upgraded to 530 spec with a Pentium processor.

All '5xx' consoles have pentium processors (that's what the '5' meant originally!) and will therefore support preset groups.

The difference between an 'I' console and a non-'I' console is processor speed and some functions associated to that, mainly that non-I consoles will not support multi user operation. For the scale of show being discussed here I don't think any of those things will be missed and a non-I console would be just fine.

Plus some of us find the smaller trackball of the older consoles much more comfortable. I still wish they'd make one with the 'new' keyboard and 'old' trackball.....

Rob.

Plus some of us find the smaller trackball of the older consoles much more comfortable. I still wish they'd make one with the 'new' keyboard and 'old' trackball.....

Horses for courses, I guess! Personally, I prefer the new trackball, but perhaps I just have fat fingers. :D

Archived