House lighting control

b1nuzz

So heres the deal:

We have a control system for the house lights, currently we have flozzys for working lights, and dimmables for the actual 'house lights'. They work on two dimmer cards inside a unit that is on the wall..

We are now trying to control these via DMX. I have looked at the manual for the lighting control system;

Clicky for datasheet page!

The three cables that I have coming from the DMX cable are the sheild, a red and a blue. Pin 1 is the sheild, Pin 2 is the red and Pin 3 is the blue.

Im not sure what order they have to go into the DMX card on the system, or what DMX card it has to go in as there are two.

I have tried before, but seem to be getting odd DMX signals. EG, lights stay on when at 0% and only some of them get dimmed. And the address' keep changing everytime I try and control the lights.

Is there anything from the manuals that you guys can see that I might be missing.

Cheers guys. Hope that you can help!

Ben

I've had a quick look at the wiring diagram, but can't see where you are seeing a DMX input. Which document is it specified in?

We have had a few issues with LEAX units at work. Users get a bit "click happy" and put them into programming mode and stuff it all up!

Looks to me like you need the LX8310 DMX Input Interface Module. It has a set of dip switches to set the address, and a place for the DMX connection. They are only marked A & B, so it will be a bit of an experiment, but I would suggest pin 3 goes to A and pin 2 goes to B (pin 1 goes to the ground).

I note the instructions also mention that there are only 200 levels, so DMX value of 200 is Full Brightness.

Ben

I note the instructions also mention that there are only 200 levels, so DMX value of 200 is Full Brightness.

Are you sure? This seems like a strange way to convert 256 input levels to 200 output levels.

I would have expected 255 to be 100%, 254 and 253 to both have been 99.5%, 252 to have been 99.0% and so on until 0 is 0%. In practise you're not going to see the 'steps'.

Guest mattladkinlx

I believe what is meant is that DMX values 0 - 200 are equivelant to 0 - 100% (DMX Values 201 - 255 are redundant!)

Matt

interesting.

Well as much as I dont want to do it, looks like im going to have to pay the £500 odd quid to get it done professionally, as after having a go earlier with the DMX card, I got nowhere.

Thanks for your help though guys.

Guest mattladkinlx
Thats how I read it. Although I guess 201-255 would also be 100%

Ben

Unless they are used for some sort of diagnostics or triggering user programs stored in the pack itself??

The only problem will be that at the desks value of 78% the lanterns will be at full intensity making timed fades not work totally probably unless you change the maximum value percentage value in the patch to 78% instead of the default 100%.

Matt

Archived