QSC Rmx

Rich newby

Hi again,

Im looking at getting my self a new amp, so you may also be able to help me out there as well. I looking at the QSC Rmx amps as I have loved them as budget amps when I have used them before. I really need 750w to 800w per channel at 4ohms. My main reason for this topic is to decide whether the rmx amps spec sheet found on there website here is in RMS or conventional watts?

So do any of you know? Do you have any more recommendations for this size amp, my budget is about £500?

Cheers

Rich

What do you mean by "conventional" watts? QSC generally quote rms watts which is what I would consider to be conventional.

(Any manufacturer who quotes PMPO or similar silliness certainly won't get my business... )

Page 2 of the RMX spec sheet says that the figures given are for "Continuous Average Power". This is what most people think of as RMS power but is a more technically accurate way of phrasing it since (although used constantly) the phrase "rms power" is actually meaningless.

Power is the voltage x current. With a power amp, a manufacturer generally measures the rms value of the output voltage and multiplies this by the rms value of the output current, working out these numbers by using a sine wave into a dummy load. This is a useful number for comparing amps but is not mathematically valid for calculating the rms power because the voltage and current are not in phase. Therefore, it is more technically accurate to call this rating "continuous average sine wave power" and with the exception of mentioning sine waves, it appears this is what QSC have done.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Some amp manufaturers will give 2 ratings.

one is @ 1kHz the other an average betwen 20Hz-20kHz.

you'll often be given a THD rating for both aswell.

You may also find that a 2ohm rating or a 4 ohm bridged rating will only give you the data at 1kHz and will have a higher THD.

Rich.

The RMX2450 is 750wpc @ 4ohms. this is right at the lower end of what you state in your origina post.

The next one up in the range the RMX4050 is 1300watts @ 4ohms. This is well above what you say you require. Its also bigger and heavier so probably unsuitable.

Rob

What do you mean by "conventional" watts? QSC generally quote rms watts which is what I would consider to be conventional.

I think that QSC measures their watts but not before clipping level- at least on the affordable units.

Archived