Soundcraft Spirit E series

DSA

Hi,

I was just wondering what your thoughts were on the Spirit E series (soundcraft), in particulatr the E12. Are there any major problems with it? I see that there are no groups and only 2 auxes, but will this still be OK?

I am rather attracted by the nice price tag!

David

We use these for preview audio mixers for post production and don't have any problems with them.

They only have two aux busses but they are indervidualy switchable pre/post which makes them verry useful.

It depends what your usage will be. See if you can loan. borrow, hire one for a show or two and see if it works for you - also try the competition - mackie, behringer etc... try them out in a shop or a show and see how it goes.

Shops like Turnkey in London normaly have a range on demo - turn up with some good music/speach/sfx on cd/dat and see how you like playing with routing, gain structure, and EQ.

Good Luck.

James

Sorry what do you use mean by a preview audio mixer?? Am I right by saying you work for the BBC? in London?

Yes - as it says in my profile I do work as an engineer for the BBC.

I live in london but at the moment I work in Bristol - long commute.

A preview audio mixer is in use in edit suites where there may be up to 8 audio tracks on the edit and the editor wants to get an idea what they will sound like together when mixed,

This isnt' the stage that the final mix will happen but it helps to give the editor some idea and production as well however all this is OT for a theatre group.

Basically our Spirit E desks get used on a daily basis for many hours and we don't have any serious problems with them.

James.

my uncle works for the bbc in london though...

anyway more to the point, we have 2 of htese desks small ones though, but I am not enitrely sure if they are the e series, dunno, but I know they are spirit... needless to say they are about 12 and 24 channels, and we/I dont particulary like using them myself, the ones we have seem a bit "cluttered"

Matt.

We just took delivery of our E class, the 8 channel version. I took it through a few tests today and was quite surprised.

There are just a few points:

Looks cheep.

No groups

A lacking of sends/receives.

Non of these are major problems, its being shoved in the corner to be used as a 'assembly' PA mixer.

I don't think it is cluttered atoll, in comparasm to our mackies it is quite minimalist, in looks and features.

Yes I see that the lack of groups and auxes could be a 'problem', however I am attracted by the price!!

Can anyone suggest a 'better' (ie has these features etc.) desk for a similar price??

David

Hi,

I'm back again after a break!

Spirit E Series are some of the cheapest desks that Soundcraft do. They are excellent value for money and give you Soundcraft quality for a budget price.

The feature set is very reasonable and I can't think of any alternatives. You could see what Behringer/Mackie have available, but personally I would avoid all of those makes. (Others may disagree - please don't start a flame war).

It's impossible to say whether the lack of groups and just 2 auxes will present a problem for you - it all depends on your application.

Do remember that price and quality/features are normally related... if you need more facilities the Folio Sx is worth looking at and is also very reasonably priced.

HTH,

Dave.

Archived