Shure SM91 PRE amps

fogg

I was think that one of the pre amps I found might be slightly cheaper than the shure stuff. And if they will work then I can save myself a bit of money. Does any know if they adaptors I found will work. or has it got to be the orginal shure pre amp?

To be honest I think the SM91's pre amp has a lot more specific thought going into it to get the best result out of the mic design.

As far as I can see the pros of your idea are to get a cheap deal.

The cons are:

1. Mic may not work as well

2. Mic may stop working

3. Mic will not sound as good

4. Everytime someone hires it off you you'll have to explain that "it's just like a 91"

So on the balance of things I'd contact Shure who are very good with service requests.

Jim

the adaptors you linked to won't be any good - one clearly runs off a 1.5v battery - this is ok for some mics that are happy with that voltage - as far as I remember the shure condensers need real phantom,or the s/n is pretty poor. The other adaptor isn't clear what it does. people like AKGmake battery operated phantom units that use a couple of 9v batteries - but when the spec says 48, in many cases you need at least 15 or more to get reasonable performance.

In most cases, these are NOT pre-amps, just PSUs. proper preamps supply phantom and bring the level up to line level - those things don't do that - and even if they did imagine the quality - a decent mic deserves decent electronics, or you coulod have bough a 6 quid mic and used that instead.

Archived