Flying with wire rope - how thin can I go?

Fletch

• 2 weeks later...
I would like some help to work out a suitable wire rope to use.....

Fletch

We supply hand winches some of which use rope of 3mm and 2mm aircraft cable. I am not an expert but if the safe working load is equivalent or more than is being lifted then there should be no problem using a smaller dia cable than 5mm.

Regards John Jones

:blink: Quote fixed (I think!)

• 2 weeks later...

DIN bulldogs, while easy to fit are actually difficult to fit correctly. The nuts need to be tightened to a specified torque to balance grip with the weakening effect on the wire. Once made of they should be proof tested.

3.5 Newton Metres to be precise!

Remember to take care of your shackles, the only time you should ever unscrew them is when your attatching them!

lets not forget the re-torquing intervals for new DIN terminated ropes either

Sorry I got to this late, been mad busy of late and not had much chance to come on and have a look.

My two penneth (for what its worth)

There is much to take into consideration. The rope WLL being the obvious one, but things such as pulley diametre and even the material the pulley is made from can affect the loading and the overall WLL.

DIN Grips are great for the terminations if you cannot determine the lengths you need. You are always better having an FSET (Ferrule Secured Eye Termination) as it will have been done by the rope supplier/manufacturer and as such could have certification with it.

There are different torque settings for different rope and DIN Grip diametres. Also make sure you are using the recommended number of grips for the rope diametre. Up to 19mm I would always use 4, but standards on lower diametres will let you get away with 3.

Also make sure you fit the grips the right way round, otherwise you end up taking the strain on the "dead" end of the rope.

Some will also say you should derate the rope if using DIN grips as there is a supposed decrease in efficiency of grip. Never been a problem that I am aware of but you may hear this.

If you need any further info, please feel free to PM me or email me.

Martin.

Archived