Rigging with chain hoists...

dave singleton

Before mods jump in I did use the search function but I couldnt find the exact thing I was after.

Im looking to fly a truss rig in a leisure centre in Crawley (West Sussex). They are currently mid install from Unusual Rigging having points installed (brand new centre).

Firstly I want to understand as much about the rigging process as possible. I understand how hoists are rigged etc what I am interested in knowing is what cabling is needed from Stage Electrics to get the rig going?

Secondally, I no full well im not experienced enough to put my name on flying with hoists. I've done it before but this is a big rig so I dont want to get anything wrong which could in effect kill someone. So is there any Experienced Riggers out there fairly local to Crawley that would be able to help out on the 29th April?

I'd suggest picking up a copy of Chris Higgs' book "An Introduction To Rigging In The Entertainment Industry", published by Entertainment Technology Press. Lots and lots of great info in there.

Cabling - if you're hiring rigging from Stage Electrics, they'll be able to tell you what cables you need to go with the kit you're hiring. Ask them.

To be frank (and I'm sure there'll be loads of other people along to tell you this in due course), if you're in a position where you're asking for information on an informal web forum because you want to learn about the rigging process, and you're openly admitting that you're not experienced enough to be taking on the work, I think you might need to slightly rethink the request in your last paragraph. Rather than looking for someone to come and help you out, you should be looking to get an experienced rigging contractor to come in and take on the complete job, with a view to you working with them and learning from what they do. Why not have a chat with Unusual, seeing as they're already on site? Working alongside riggers from a company like that is a great way of learning how it's done.

Archived