Random new company questions from an SM

Hi everyone

Just a quick question to see if anyone could shed any light on this for me!! I've just been taken on by a new, yet to be funded (joy!!) theatre company as their Stage Manager. The job means I basically do all the typical SM stuff, plus focussing lanterns at the (thankfully small!) venues, op-ing lx and sound and generally making sure the company and directors are ok (have calls, know where they're going, that they're generally ok). It's possible that I'll have one or maybe two people supporting the role in future (more likely the v distant future, but it's being chatted about at the mo!) but I just wanted to ask 2 things....

1 - what would this role typically be called in the industry? Picky question I know, but thought I'd ask!

2 - any tips from anyone who's worked in a similar role? This would be fab as the company are finding their feet and I want to be as on the ball with them as possible!!

Cheers

M

Well I think the best job title would be "Company Stage Manager" - usually you apply that to anyone who is contracted to work for one company for a decent period (and for more than a single show). As for the lighting/sound aspect yeah, it happens in small companies. When you talk about "Support roles" are you talking about something like an ASM, or does the company do more than one show and you are responsible for 'everything', which your 'supporting SM's' take over specific shows?

I agree - Company Stage Manager is usual for a small company where you end up doing almost everything. You have a couple of other possibles -

Technical Stage Manager, if the majority of your job is technically based, rather than dealing with company and venue staff.

Or maybe Production Manager, if you are going to be involved from the very beginning of a production and have responsiblity for budgets and ordering of goods for the production.

I guess as it is a new company you can really ask for whatever title you want - but what you end up being called may well depend upon many other factors!

have been doing this kind of gig for nearly ten years now for many companies, sometimes more than one at a time.

Depending on the size and competance of the company it's generaly great fun. But beware if they are a company of 'proffesionaly trained' actors you could be in for much much back breqking work.

As you will be resposibal for rigging and op-ing, you will ned to allow a decentamount of time to ge the set up and focus. A few tips to help things go easier.

Encourage the cast and the director (who generaly tags along on tour) to be resonsibal for thier own props. Get them to set them in places offstage where they are comfotable and able to find them easily and quickly. most controll boxes are a long way off backstage.

Let venues know well in advance what lighting you require there is more chance of it being mostly there when you get there if you do. Nothing too flashy just a simple list, day, night rbg wash and 3 profile specials. or something like it.

Remember be nice to venue techs as you may be back there more thant once wearing more than one different company hat. also it may lead to other freelancing work if they like you and remember you. (esp handy when working mainly profit share shows)

If you do end up running a small crew smaller companies tend to gt much less experience people in, remember that they may still have a lot to learn, be supportive but crack the whip hard when they make stupid mistakes.

Set nothing in stone, things will change all the time be preparde to change everything. The venues you get booked into can be radicaly different and may require some quick thinking and occasionaly a complete rethink of everything including cutting over half your set, as I discovered the last time I toured into the london fringe. d'oh.

As for title go with Suzette's suggestions for the progrem but god is also available if your doing that much.

• 1 month later...

Silver Raynes comments are spot on. I have been working in exactly the same role for a number of companies over a number of years. The actors are the key. The company I am working with at the moment are brilliant, I have 6 actors and after a show in london they were sat there with rollers in their hands doing the back to black. no quibbles, after thanking one of the cast later shejust said, "Well we want you at the after run party too!!"

The 'proffessionally trained" ones can be a pain but they can usually be won round.

Bast of luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I dont think you can genralise too much

I was just on a small scale tour with 6 professionally trained actors of which mostly are classiclly trained, and some have worked with seasons at the RSC and also won awards and so on. and I have never worked with a better bunch of people!

so all im saying is dont be scared off by comments of actors, they are still people and every one is differnt!!

I reckon you'll be surprised! one thing I would say though is dont be afraid to ask them for help, you will only get into more trouble if you try to do it on your own back!

• 5 weeks later...
along with this topic how do people mange say casts of 21 young actors from youth theatre when on a very tight fit up tech week and the director somewhat puts pressure on you to allow them on to rehearse and they just go for it i.e. roudy groups who aren't too used to the real theatre world!

along with this topic how do people mange say casts of 21 young actors from youth theatre when on a very tight fit up tech week and the director somewhat puts pressure on you to allow them on to rehearse and they just go for it i.e. roudy groups who aren't too used to the real theatre world!

I hate it when this happens. There's no easy answer, you have to talk to everyone concerned and explain that you have very little time as it is and perhaps they could rehearse somewhere else until the crew are ready for them. Or, let them rehearse and then when the director asks why you have no lights/sound/set/whatever, calmly say "you wanted the stage to rehearse, so we didn't have time to get the show loaded in." I'd be willing to bet they'll only do it once! Not that I'm advocating this.....I dealt with 21 dance schools last summer, and we always used to do a theatre briefing with the kids when they came in - fire procedure, all the dangerous stuff like pyros and flying etc, and explain theatre protocol to them. If they're not used to the real theatre world, explaining basic theatre etiquette to them won't hurt and may make your job a lot easier.

Archived