Putting together a B! rig for a job

James

In just about a month I have a gig for a week. I have recently discovered that I'm providing sound for a 100 seat second venue (a pub) during this gig. (Nice to know before I arrived!)

This will be for anything from a stand up comic to a full 5 piece band.

At the moment I'm looking at what I have left in the cave when I take out everything else I'm using for the main gig.

• 4 Behringer B1800X Subs
  • 2 Behringer F1220 Wedges.
  • 1 Behringer DDX2316
  • 1 Behringer CX3400 Cross Over
  • 6 Behringer Dynamic Microphones
  • 3 Behringer DI Boxes.

• Tascam CD160 CD Player
  • 30m 14+6 Multicore
  • Shure UT HH Radio Mic
  • Shure UT Lavalier Radio Mic

Usualy for small gigs I would pair the B1800s with SX300s, however all 10 sx300s are acting as monitors on the main rig...

So I'm considering buying (To tidy this pile of bits up..)

2 Behringer B1220 Tops (Or 1520)

1 Behringer EP2500 Amp (For Subs)

1 Behringer EP1500 Amp (For Mono Tops + 1 Monitor Mix)

929 UKP List.

Any other thoughts? - I didn't deliberatly set out to put together a B rig, It just seemed to come together and these seem the logical bits to finish it off.

Subs are probably overkill - most of the time they will just be holding up the tops - I don't particularly like stands and a ratchett strapped stack is (in my mind) more stable than SOS in a pub.

Racks, cable, distro isn't a problem.

Oh yes lights will be controlled from a LC2412

Cheers.

James

You may want to have equal numbers of tops and subs . I have a few Behringer boxes (16) . I found my system to be very bass heavy until I doubled up on my tops . I now have 8xB1500 and 8xB1220 . However I have replaced all the Behringer transducers with Eminence Kappa 12's and Kappa 15LF's and Eminence PSD2002's . Regarding amplifiers . My 'B' rig has 2xEP2500 as amps go they aren't bad but I find they get quite warm if worked hard . If you can afford it buy an LD Systems PA1600X for a budget amp you get 2x1100w @4 ohms not bad for a sub £500 amp . I ran one to suppliment my Mackies ( 4xM1400 on subs) and I was impressed .

The B1220pros' are a very nice cab (not the most effiecient mind). Might be a handy investment incase you ever need a couple of extra wedges for the main rig. Whilst they aren't as good as the sx300's the'yre a good little cab all the same.

Not tried the new range of subs but tried th old ones and I am impressed for size/weight/cost.

The EP1500's IMO are not worth saving that little bit of money on.

If you got a pair of B1220's you'd be underpowering them with one channel of a ep1500. for an extra £30 or so get the larger of the 2 for the tops/monitors.

A small rig I'm in the middle of buying/putting together uses Matrix UKP2100's. 2 of 1 FOH (mono), pair of B1220 pro's and 3 monitor mixes (also b1220pro's). I use the matrix amps mainly as they give out a fair bit more power. (1050wpc @4) and becasue I had them going spare.

they are more money but I keep seeing places where you can pick them up for £400 or so. on paper they do not handle 2ohms. in practise they do. this was an emergancy thought. I do not recommend using amps at 2ohms. BUT LETS NOT START THIS ONE AGAIN.

Rob

Hi There

The system sounds ok to me, have you looked at the new behringer pro range. B1220 Pro. It has a wedge shape to so you could use it as a wedge should you need it another time. Nice boxes. Also re the behringer Amps, You might wantto try C-mark. They are distrobuted by Electrovision in the uk and they do a really nice range. Sinilar in price to the behringer, very well built and sound very nice. There is often some on ebay, But failing that Email me.

Chris@dbs-solutions.co.uk

Chris and Rob.

The reason for looking at the non pro is simply budget.

If I had more money I wouldn't think about it, I would buy another pair of SX300s I've lost track of the number of times I've used them over the pair of Behringer subs in pubs churches and small halls.

I'm also short of amps, With the two other venues I have to cover all my existing amps are in use. Behringer looked like the best £/W ratio I would buy another TA2400, like I use everywhere else but the TA2400s aren't rated for 2 Ohm Loads.

James

holy crisp thats a lot of behringer.

I didn't set out to put together a Behringer B rig. There are just bits I once bought that have been replaced and upgraded. They are sitting arround and wouldn't be used on this gig at all if I hadn't been given this third venue to supply for.

On another level I'm curious to see how an entire behringer rig performs.

Particularly as this might end up as an included freebie with the other two venues.

James

ps of course you probably were refering to mal421s boxes!

On another level I'm curious to see how an entire behringer rig performs.

Excellent. Every time the name "Behringer" comes up theres lots of heat and precious little light, so some decent running hours with an all 'B' rig should put you in a position to give opinions with a factual basis to them.

Bring it on :blink:

definately let us know how it holds up. I have no problems with a bit of behringer kit here and there but a whole rig seems to be tempting fate a little. Still all the best you could do the brand some justice.

Or mebey thats it Behringer kit is programmed to only fully co-op with other B kit there sore becoming a dominant borg'esk entity in you venue :blink:

Last week my band played in a small venue in loughborough using an old behringer desk of mine, an EP2500 taken from my monitor rig, and a pair of B1220pro's (also from the monitor rig).

4 vocals, 2 keyboards. Sounded great.

no FOH eq needed.

the reason rfor using this is 2 of my "lads" were out with the four tops with my A rig.

Tonight I've done the same venue with the same behringer board, a QSC plx3402 and a pair of Martin F12's.

I also put in a DEQ2496,

YES! it sounded better. significantly better. but when you compare prices of a plx3402 to an ep2500 and a pair of b1220pros to a pair of F12's you would expect it to be better. especially with an eq on the system aswell.

I've got a small gig in a pub with a duo tomorrow afternoon. I'll be using a pair of THE BOX PA110's (single 10 and horn 250rms rated) off an amp that I will choose tomorrow. probably one of my plx3402. a pair of these is about £120 from Thomann. I'm not afriad to use cheap gear. I am however aware of how to operate it (getting the best out of what can be sometimes limiting gear).

Rob

If any of you guys ever find yourself in somerset PM me first and I would be happy to let you play with my Behringer boxes . As I have said before all the transducers have been replaced with either Eminence Kappas or JBLs . I have Mackie and QSC amps but also some EP2500's if you want to do A to B comparisons .

• 2 months later...

Hi there!

Just wanted to add to this and say we have the Behringer speakers, as well as mixers, eq's and dynamics (we also do have soundcraft desks too etc) and I swear by this gear, it's fantastic and has never gone down, sounds fantastic too, you can find pics at www.barrel.demon.co.uk/blastpa.htm :D do take a look if you want etc

we have in total (speaker wise)

4 x b1220 tops

4 x b1800x subs

6 x f1220 monitors

we also drive all of them by thomann's ta1050mkII and ta2400mkII amps, really impressed with these too :P

Chris

Archived