Controlling Sound Effects In Shows

DSA

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally have some problems laying my show in the hands of a computer that could crash or stick at any moment, The only time I would consider (and indeed have) used computers for show applications is using a dedicated machine with as little "rubbish" installed on it as possible.

Although even dedicated machines have been known to have problem, for example at the MTV european music awards one of the artists (who shall remain nameless) management insisted on running the audio from a multitrack audio program called Pyramix instead of laying the track onto dat as was recommended by the live sound designer for the show. Unfortunately the computer got "stuck" in a loop during the performance and the act had to be restaged at the end of the show.

This is the reason that I find myself reluctant to move to computer based audio show control packages at the moment, however I am currently debating buying a dedicated computer to run SFX linked to an 01V96 for a couple of projects next year.

Peter :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

For an entertainment thing (sort of talent show/awards show) on thurs I am going to need to run sfx and gen. backing music etc in quite quick succession. I could record to CD but that seems like a lot of work to me.

Alternatively I could try either 'Soundplant' or 'Sound Cue System'.

However an unregistered Soundplant would not play mp3s and scs has 'some restrictions'.

It appears that it can only be run for 20 minutes at a time before registering, which is not at all useful.

Thats the idea anyway. If PC is not an option then ill just CD the show. Im a bit worried someone is going to come and say. 'Oh didnt we tell you, item 4 wants a sound effect...'

David

...so effectively PC or CD? and if PC, which software???

P.S. Idea with awards is to have like on tv say 30 s snippet from a song as they walk up. Should I record just the snippet to CD/PC file, or have whole song and locate position, to fade out on arrival at podium...

great. but can I build up a cue stack....or do I have to have listed each sound on a bit of paper, for which key they are.

Plus, are effects loopable in Soundplant?

and can 2 effects be played simultaneously?

David

Although you can't build up a que stack, you could easily assign the cues to the number keys 1 > 0 and then the letter keys Q > P etc...

You can assign effects to loop, (remember to use shift+key to kill) and can layer effects on top of each other.

Well the Wav's I converted in Audition yesterday work fine, however new ones I do today dont. They play everywhere else, just not in soundplant. I dont know why.....

So I am now looking for a reliable hotkey mp3 (mp3s are much smaller - also an advantage) player............PLEASE

I need it asap

I have found 'Multiwave', but the trial is restricted to max 3 files....which is no good.

Any more you know of....otherwise itll be CD!

David

So I am now looking for a reliable hotkey mp3 (mp3s are much smaller - also an advantage) player............PLEASE

I need it asap

I have found 'Multiwave', but the trial is restricted to max 3 files....which is no good.

Any more you know of....otherwise itll be CD!

David

Sound plant only costs £13 for a registered copy that will play MP3's. You will be lucky to find anything for free that is any good. HTH Peter

Did you convert the ones that don't work at a different sample rate and/or resolution?

I've had terrible troubles editing some of my video recordings as Adobe Premiere is extremely fussy about the sound sample rate.

I didnt fiddle with any settings between wav'ing the separate files.

However I dont need the hotkey ability anymore as I just need to play tracks - so a normal mp3 player will do - would be nice if it has a 'cue-list' which advances when the previous one stops...any suggestions??

David

PS Remind me to just use MD next time...!!!

I have always been of the opinion that it is Windows being the weak link in the chain here. Not being a sound boy I haven't tried this but has anyone considered using a dedicated linux based solution?

In small shows where I have had to edit and play back sound, I have always burned to CD/MD before the show opens, but using a computer if it is stable souns like it has advantages.

:unsure:

Archived