video mixing

Alpha

ok im after some software that I can vision mix with, we plan on having two cameras run into tv cards although if theres a better alternative thats cheap let me know. I also wouldnt mind having the option of a mpg feed back in Or some sort of action replay feature. any ideas?

Three for you to look at:

Resolume

ArKaos

Livid Union

I've used Resolume quite a bit, and ArKaos a little, and certainly with Resolume you won't get the quality and speed you would with dedicated hardware. Basically to get decent vision mixing on a PC, you'll need a very high spec machine. The other option for input instead of TV Cards would be a firewire bridge of some kind, either a DV camera with firewire output, or a separate camera and bridge.

You'll probably do better however using a hardware vision mixer, of which there are lots about, I've used the Edirol V-4 which is pretty good, another one to look at is the Panasonic MX50 (discontinued), or the MX70 seems to be one of the cheapest around that has more than four inputs.

HTH

PN

If your going to be using it in a situation where lipsync is an issue, then I'd suggest that you might well be going to struggle with the delay that the system will add. On the MX50, the processing takes time, and adds a frame delay (1/25th of a second). With computers, the whole capture, mix and output sequence can well add to this time, and give a bigger delay.

You might find it easier and cheaper to go for a hardware alternative. The Edirol stuff is supposedly good value and not too expensive- if I was at work I'd dig out the pricing, but I'm not! Sorry.

• 2 months later...

hi I like vidvox for the mac for Vj applications, it works well. but if you want more vision mix applications then think of hardware, it is in my experience more reliable, easier and cheaper, oh and less of a pain in the arse.

Matt

Archived