White Lighting?

Instantdeath

Last night watching at the Brit Awards I was looking up and saw Massive moving head luminaire in the giant chandalier. Now this light is normal matt black but at various points during the show the light it appeared to be white when lots of other moving heads where shining on it.

Now this is the silly question, Can you make black things appear white by shining lots of light on them? or is there a trick

If it was matte black, it would disperse and reflect light and read as lighter (but white...I can't say). If it was gloss black, it would allow the light to "pass through" (similar to a mirror) and continue to appear black.

Maybe?

Oh good I'm glad the answer wasnt really obvious, perhaps it wasnt such a dumb question after all.

Anybody happen to know what the really big moving heads are called? much bigger than mac 2000's, square'ish style not rounded like most and seem to have vertical and horizontal type shuttering on the front.

Archived