PC controlled DMX

scottbramall

PC controlled DMX

Hi everyone.

Does anyone have any software they would recommend to use so that I can control my DMX lighting from a laptop? I like the idea of the 3D visualise.

I have been looking at the ShowXpress software and really like it but it only works with certain hardware. (http://www.ShowXpress.TheLightingController.com)

I am using a velleman vm116/k8062 DMX interface so it needs to be compatible.

Any reply’s will be appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

Does anyone have any software they would recommend to use so that I can control my DMX lighting from a laptop? I like the idea of the 3D visualise.I am using a velleman vm116/k8062 DMX interface so it needs to be compatible.

Deisgned to do *exactly* what you are after is freestyler http://users.pandora.be/freestylerdmx/

It's designed for disco's and works with many interfaces including the one you have.

And it's free!

Let us know how you get on.

FWIW, there are some good technical reasons for vendors to limit their software to their own interfaces.

We actually looked at a number of interfaces before building our own. We ended up passing on pretty much all of them we could find at the time because we knew that, right from the start, we wanted multiple universes and above average refresh rates. And, of course, we wanted a very high reliability rate. Nothing brings down system reliably under Windows like a poor device driver. So, between dismall throughput and things crashing on PnP power messages, etc., we bit the bullet and built our own.

Once that Pandora's box was open, we ended up always including a DMX in so users could use boards they have instead of dedicated wings and our own SMPTE support, so we could do true chase and lock, instead of just triggering. Once the software starts expecting those sorts of features, it becomes increasingly difficult to 'generalize' back down that is missing features, chokes at our update rate, and so on.

One thing that I think we got right is that we didn't try to use our interfaces as a 'dongle' and hold the price somewhat artificially high. We'd already seen that if you sell something for $1,200+ that can be knocked off for $150, the $150 dollar knock offs will appear if you get any traction at all. So we just bit the bullet and kept our pricing aggressive.

One thing I thought we got right, but am now not so sure, is Visualization. Our thinking of not bundling a specific visualizer was two fold. First, the many visualizers out there are very different beasts with different strengths, weaknesses, and even core feature sets. Some users want and need WYSIWYG, others MSD, Capture, etc., and some can get by with a much more rudimentary visualizer like Magic 3D. Second, if you bundle a visualizer, the customer pays for it (rather they realize it or not) in every system. Our thought was, instead of paying for a stripped down visualizer you may or may not use, buy one if you need one, otherwise spend that same money on something else.

To a certain extent, this has worked out. We have users who combine us with all of the products mentioned above (and a couple I've never heard of). But picking and chosing is not effortless. There had been some talk from companies that LewLights CITP would be more widely adopted, which would making switching between visualizers even easier, but that still seems to be mostly talk. Also, while the higher end users seem quite savvy about the idea of picking suitable tools for the job at hand, the lowest end of the market seems more concerned with 'presence vs. usefullness'. I'm not saying that all users are this way, but quite a few lighting newcomers do seem to prefer spending more money for a mediocre bundle than picking and chosing a more powerful system for less.

-jjf

The other thing that bugs the pants of me is that every week or so someone pops up and says "I've bought a <fill in name here> interface and am looking for some software for it". Theres a thread entitled Pulsar's Winlite that is similar at the moment; got an interface and software, and discovering limitations in the software, which probably means the user is unhappy with the software and will want to find something different.

You have to find software that does what you need it to do and like the user interface of first, and then get an interface it supports.

Good Eveining

I have started using a copy of ChamSYS MagicQ PC on my laptop on events that I havent got a pearl.

It is a piece of software ChamSYS allow you to have free of charge from there website.

It will work with the ENTTEC open DMX usb interface that you can buy for about £40.

The website for the MagicQ PC is http://www.chamsys.co.uk/

The website for ENTTEC is http://www.enttec.com

I hope this helps

Philip Lee

Lighting Designer / Event Coordonator

I see.....

Now I am looking to invest in a PC based controller, still in debate of which one.

The direction I'd like to go is to have the ability to build shows and scenes on the PC with a 3D Vis, but also when at an event have the ability - like a DJ - to mix live and really get into the music.

I read you can add midi keyboards or external consoles to PC based controllers, which I liked the sound of.

But what's the secrete here?

Do you invest big bucks in controllers like Martins LJ or do you get free software with a USB hub costing £40 (as mentioned above?

I'm seeing alot of variations and not sure what the pro's & con's are right now.

:: I looked at the Sweetlight SSA system found on http://www.sweetlight.thelightingcontroller.com/

I also looked at the freestyler system but have found a few forums full of worries about the software working with certain lights and interfaces and problems.

I've tested the Martin LJ software which I found more in depth than the Sweetlight.

So what's the truth here, they all seem to say they do the same but prices vary from £40 to £2500?

I dont want to light Robby Williams concerts but would like to light venues upto about 1000 people with nice big stage's.

So what's the truth here, they all seem to say they do the same but prices vary from £40 to £2500?

I dont want to light Robby Williams concerts but would like to light venues upto about 1000 people with nice big stage's.

Well, to be honest, a lot of them *are* exactly the same thing. For example, the link you provided is sold under at least one other brand. I've lost count at how many brands the Nicolaudie stuff is sold under.

I could point you to reviews. For example, there is a new review of us in the UK here. And Paulears reviewed us awhile back (though I don't know if it is available online). But, really, one size does not fit all and users would do well to extensively try before they buy.

It is not just that some of the offerings are pure junk (though many are). The small number that are up to running a decent sized production 'think' in very different ways. Also, some have specific areas of strength. Think of it as apples and oranges. An orange can be a perfectly fine thing, but it still isn't a very good substitute if what you really need is an apple.

-jjf

Innovate Show Controls

• 2 months later...

Last weekend I was using a piece of software that came free with a DMX box from monacor, and found that for a relatively small rig (10 par 56's and 8 cheap movers; 5 channels a piece) that it worked as well as I needed it to, for band performances and a DJ. It gave a basic form of pallettes, as well as a macros and a trackball. Nothing on the pearl I use at uni, but decent enough for what it was.

Maybe not relevant to most of you, but hopefully helpful for poeple looking at the lower end of the control market.

Archived