ABTT training

I did the Silver Award for Sound Engineers on the Summer Training week (2005), and found it very rewarding.

The course structure was very well laid out, with high content and good explanation. While personally I found that a couple of the modules were below my knowledge level, I wasn't led to believe that they were anything higher; I certainly came out with a more refined view on why a particular thing was as such, and why my particular ways of doing things produced the results they did.

If you look at the content of the awards, most come with at least two days of health and safety - THESE ARE FANTASTIC - and not just from a new student point of view. Due to my father's business, I have been aware of RAs all my life and I was impressed with the delivery and depth.

I would strongly advise that if the course sounds like what you want, then the ABTT training guys will give you what you need. Do bear in mind that some of the courses might be at an introduction level as, for once, I was too humble and found material that I did not personally need.

The summer course is intensive as each day is filled, and then you need to revise the information for the testing session on the last day. For myself, it was more practical than doing 5 Saturdays travelling.

You do need to do the bronze award to get the silver award, but you can do the silver training, but without the silver award.

I believe that they are planning to do another summer school, and the cost works out at around £500+VAT (off the top of my head)

Hope this helps

Having done (and passed) the Bronze Award last summer, I left with a few issues which were shared by others - particularly course content, delivery and the final test. PM if you're interested, as I don't feel I want to discuss any criticisms here.

Also, some of us didn't feel that the component parts were the most essential things to cover at Bronze level, which in theory is the most basic, although don't worry if you feel you're higher level as there was a full mix of abilities.

I'm fairly sure the course costs the same whether you do it individually or as the week summer school - in fact, the summer school costs a little more, as you have to pay about £35 for the final test. I've recently spoken to Geoff Joyce at the ABTT and he said this year's summer dates will be announced after Easter. I'm still considering the Silver award, but think it's unlikely I'll attend this year.

Thanks.

The bronze may be the same but looking at the costs for doing the silver, it looks like it's cheaper doing the summer course as some courses are £120 & some £160.

Thought you had to pay the £35 test fee once you wanted to take it anyways?

;) - Posts merged

Archived