I Need To Build A Tech Portfolio

Hiya everybody!

I'm a 2nd year student at college and I am hoping to get into Bristol Old Vic on the BA Professional Stage Management course. In order to do so I need 2xA level passes and 4xGCSE's at C or above. I'm on target to get the grades but I need to build up a good portfolio to really convince them to take me! Has anyone had to do this before, and if so, how did you do it? I've recently been taking photo's of some of the work I've done- Staging, Lights, Front of House decorations and I'm going to hopefully make some scale models and sketch some cool ideas but will this help me? Big, big thanks to ANYONE who replies and I hope you get some good karma come your way!

Thank you all a lot!

Yep.....you've got the general idea.......just keep details of any productions both at education level and any am dram that you are involved in with photographic evidence of your contributions or scale diagrams etc. If you wanted to put a bit of time and effort into it - you could keep a basic kind of diary for the work that you covered during the production - this could include your responsiblities and anything you learnt from it that you will take with you when working on the next production. Basically people will be looking for proof that you are genuinely interested in stage management and not just doing it as an easy option.....not that it is of course!!!

I also think its important to mention that although your portfolio is asked for, nothing can replace genuine enthusiasm. If you have a shiny portfolio surrounding one or two productions, this may not have as much effect on people as showing them work in progress, previous marked up scrips, designs and just demonstrating your commitment that way.

Also, don't over glamourise your portfolio. If you only made the tea on a production, don't try and make it look like you were the lighting designer... but if you get the chance, talk about what you learned by watching the people at work, etc.

Hope this helps - PM me or feel free to post more questions, if you have them.

Archived