Booming Echo Sound Effect

Chris Beesley

HI Guys,

Is it possible to add a booming echo type effect to a voice? Its panto time and im helping on an amdram ... I have a Zoom RFX1000 and am trying to find something to give a giant style voice. The actor is miked up using a lavalier etc and can be patched thru the FX rack.

Cheers

Chris Beesley

(posting as cdsounds.co.uk - not CPC)

Ah yes...Panto! The one time you get to play with all the ugly effects you can't normally use on a "proper" show!

Yeah, you should be able to find something. You may need to play a bit because every director has a different idea what a giant sounds like...but on the Zoom effects unit you have, I suggest you start with the Pitch/Delay preset. Lower the voice by a few semitones and add some echo...sounds giant-like to me!

Edited to add: when I do effects like this, I would normally use an aux send to route the voice to the effects, then bring it back in on another channel so I can control the balance between dry and wet voice. For special effects like this I tend to use a pre fade aux, as opposed to simple reverb where I prefer post fade.

Bob

In the run of Jack and the Beanstalk I've just finished, I found that just about any "Hall" or "Arena"-described reverb effect did the job, across a number of FX units.

I'd suggest that in this type show, just about any reverb treatment that is "nearly there" is more than enough to get the message across. As Bobbsy says, do check with the director though!

For incidence, I used the "Giant Reverb" patches at a lower level to add a little "something" to the principles during the dungeon scene. A little reverb and a dripping underscore went a long way to getting the audience (nearly) believing they were watching stuff happen in a cold, stony dungeon!

Pitch lowering wasn't necessary as our "Giant" already had a good deep voice.

Solstace makes a good point. When I put the "evil effect" on the bad guy in whatever panto, I don't just preset it and leave it. I tend to mix it so it's very pronouced when they're casting a spell or fee-fi-fo-fumming or whatever...and take it down to "barely there" for dialogue scenes. It makes the point but preserves intelligibility.

Bob

Archived