Nexo Alpha system

Bad_Rock

Hi all. I'm about to complete my Nexo system with the Alpha series. I will use it mostly for Electronic music but will be useful for live shows also. I'd like to know about other users of the BR to exchange thoughts etc. I know people that loves this system even when they recognise their cons at some levels.

Thank you very much.

It's a bit of an open ended "non-question" question to be honest, which is probably why you haven't had many responses. What is it you actually want to know? Do you mean Alpha or AlphaE?

I've used both and been happy with the results each time though Alpha is a much more powerful system for larger venues and has much tighter pattern on the M3 box, though the M8 is about the same horizontally as the eM. Generally with the AlphaE I don't have a problem running without S2s, the system goes low enough without I feel, though I tend to run 2 B1-18 per eM to avoid the top end getting out of control, especially in short throw applications. Alpha itself I tend towards using with S2s as the B1s feel streched to get down to 40Hz despite the specs. I've used both for live and recorded work, and feel AlphaE sounds more like a DJ would expect (it's boom and tiss to some extent) but can be tamed for live work fine. Alpha is generally smoother and more powerful. My normal for a 100 deg coverage Alpha stack is 2 S2, 5 B1 and 3 M3. In less low end demanding situations I have been known to do 2 B1 and an M3/8 in a stack instead.

Hope that's of some vague use.

Regards

Chris

I also use Alpha and Alpha E, and while both rigs sound good (the alpha better obviously), I feel I must point out that moving Alpha E is a complete arse, unless you have a lorry with a taillift (or perhaps a long ramp).

The wheel boards are completely unsuited to transport in a van (wheels go on the bottom), which seems like bad planning for the small system in the family designed to be used in small quantities and hence moved in a van!

The alpha however, is nice and easy with the wheels on the front. It can be safely pushed up a steep ramp, or lifted and stacked in a van.

I tend to avoid electronic music wherever possible!

Alpha E is one step below classic alpha. Nexo will tell you that.

For electronic music, (I assume you mean dance music) it is my experience that no one cares what it sounds like as long as it's loud and has plenty of bass (big stacks are also often a priority). Given this, you may as well save your money and buy something cheaper and less 'quality'.

What you are saying it's right. Even though there is a big difference to dance in front of a F-1 dance stack or a nexo Alpha system than in front of a DAS audio stack. We already have a big system from Jbl Sound power and Venue series and we wanna move one step ( probably 2 ) forward. I heard the Alpha system and to me by now it's best I've seen for dance music.

The original alpha system isn't it too narrow to build in stacks of only 2 - as it should when it's for a middle size club.

Thanks for your help.

What you are saying it's right. Even though there is a big difference to dance in front of a F-1 dance stack or a nexo Alpha system than in front of a DAS audio stack. We already have a big system from Jbl Sound power and Venue series and we wanna move one step ( probably 2 ) forward. I heard the Alpha system and to me by now it's best I've seen for dance music.

The original alpha system isn't it too narrow to build in stacks of only 2 - as it should when it's for a middle size club.

Alpha M3 is too narrow in coverage to build two single stacks as a Left Stack and Right Stack. You realistically need a minimum of two M3 stacks per side to cover a narrow ish venue, but that would require fills. If you placed the stacks right out in the corners you might get away with that in a normal room (note for a normal room I'm thinking a slightly wider than it is deep more or less rectangular room). I would tend towards an M8 stack for your purpose to get the 75 degree coverage that is more desirable.

AlphaE will definitely be two steps up from your current Soundpower/Venue JBL gear. It would also be wide enough in coverage to build only two stacks. The coverage does not fall off immediately either so you could quite happily get away one stack per side generally as some people won't want to be right in the "loud" part.

Now of course there is a cost aspect. In the UK at LIST prices for an Alpha System you are looking at the following:

2* NX242 = £3980

4* B1 = £9740

2* M8 = £7350

1* Camco Vortex 6 = £2780

2* Camco Vortex 4 = £4420

Total System cost = £28270 + VAT

On top of this a minimum 10u Rack to put it all in once you've got a 2u plate for signal in and out plus a 32A 240V power feed. You'll also need the appropriate cables (2x NL8 to go from Amp rack to M8s and 4x NL4 to link the B1s to the M8).

In contrast you could do the Nexo AlphaE system using:

1* NX242 = £1990

2* eM = £4490

4* B1-18 = £8160

1* Camco Vortex 6 = £2780

1* Camco Vortex 4 = £2210

Total System cost = £19630 + VAT

That £9k is probably better spent elsewhere given that the effective power is going to be more or less the same, though the AlphaE system will go lower. From your profile you are largely working as a DJ, and therefore you will not be needing to meet riders of bands, nor integrate with a larger warehouse of Alpha system. I'd tend towards the AlphaE myself in this situation for this size of audience.

Regards

Chris

Chris thanks for your help. Can we agree that the classic alpha would be better than the Alpha e?

Do you think that building 4 stacks of the Alpha system would be a "killer system"?

Would be better to place the 4 units 1 in each corner or 2 stacks by side?

HEY WAIT. :mods: why isn't the S2 on your list? :)

I really appreciate your help.

Chris thanks for your help. Can we agree that the classic alpha would be better than the Alpha e?

That is given.

Do you think that building 4 stacks of the Alpha system would be a "killer system"?

It would be a very good system certainly, but 4 stacks of proper Alpha is not a cheap proposition and I would suggest that for long term use with electronic music the addition of a couple of S2 subs and a suitable amplifier would not be an unwise move. Also going for 4 stacks you just more or less doubled your amp requirements. In the case of doing 4 stacks of M8/B1/B1 you'd now be putting an excessive load on the B1 amp, so you'd have to add another amp per side to drive the cabs. Therefore I'd suggest building a pair of racks each holding an NX242, two Vortex 4 and a Vortex 6. Add another Vortex 6 per rack to be able to drive 2 S2 subs each side too. With the sub amps and 2* S2 speakers you are now looking at a £70k system, with serious weight and trucking needs. Do you have a budget to purchase the system?

Would be better to place the 4 units 1 in each corner or 2 stacks by side?

I tend towards being a bit of a traditionalist and would point out from the 'front', though there is no reason why you couldn't do one per corner, however I think that tends to sound a little messy, and also you have more leads all over the place. Use what is right for the room, and be aware that the M8s require splay between the cabs to ensure you get correct coverage. In order to give better guidance we need to know more about your intended venue(s), how often the system will move and so on. I also would remind you that I would not advise running "classic Alpha" without S2 subs for bass heavy content for prolonged periods, it doesn't sound nice and it stretches the poor drivers somewhat - though the NX242 of course won't let damage occur it just doesn't sound good.

Regards

Chris

Cris!

Yes I can get the cash but I must buy everything step by step. That's why I'd like to upgrade my Ps 15 system using Alpha components. Probably I'll buy a couple of S2 first and then I'll add the rest.

Don't you think that buying the S2 I might get rid of 2 b1's? Needing only a couple per stack instead of 4?

Can we say that 2 S2+ 4 B1's + 2 M8 per side would be the best option?

Cheers

Cris!

Yes I can get the cash but I must buy everything step by step. That's why I'd like to upgrade my Ps 15 system using Alpha components. Probably I'll buy a couple of S2 first and then I'll add the rest.

Don't you think that buying the S2 I might get rid of 2 b1's? Needing only a couple per stack instead of 4?

Cheers

You won't get rid of 2 B1s by adding the S2s generally because the S2 works below the B1s effective range mainly, but you probably could get away with two and add another two if you felt it lacking in that range. Yes it is the best option of the options in the Alpha range I would say for your purpose based on the limited information.

Regards

Chris

Cris!

This is actually quite cool. Did that once, it was a good rig.

Cheers

I wouldn't say so no, as that is not best use of amplifiers. It depends of course on how big the rooms are that you need to cover, but if you have 1 S2, 3 B1s and up to 3 M8s (say 2) a side, you can run this from 4 amplifiers. If you add any more cabs, then you need an entire extra amp rack, adding huge cost to your rig. So with 2 amp racks, you can run up to 12 stacks (12 M3s, 12 B1s, 4 S2s). What you need exactly though depends on many things - what you are doing, how much money you've got. I'd talk to whoever is currently dealing with Sales at SSE. I lose track who it is these days, but I think it's a guy called Steve.

Archived