What is the best Lighting CAD program?

phattony

I am trying to get my college to get a design program to do lighting plans on but the only programs that I know is Visuliser and WYSIWYG.

is there any other programs and what one is best for new students.

Have a look at Wysiwyg LEARN Its designed for Schools usage as is the pricing structure, if you want more info on this please email me off forum.

Kind Regards

Andy

Whilst any program is usable, there is a reason why WYSIWYG is the first program to pop up in people minds (and google). It is the bees knees. WYSIWYG is more than a CAD application though - it is more of a complete solution than a 'computer aided design' package.

For many people WYSIWYG is probably overspecced and does far too much.... but gosh is it nice when needed.

• 2 weeks later...

WYSIWYG seems to work for my students both past and present - certainly on a PC platform. It also seems to work for scenic design students too.

VectorWorks has a constituency in the Mac world, but I know little about this.

I'm sure if you searched this site for "CAD", "WYSIWYG" or "VectorWorks" there would be a great deal of information.

KC

Hi there

I use Vectorworks which you can buy with a dedicated lighting design plugin called Spotlight. Check out http://www.nemetschek.net/spotlight/

I find the software pretty easy to use for plans as it has detailed hybrid 2d/3d symbols for most modern fixtures (although no old strand patt. models ;) ). The 3d tools and rendering are great and I find them very easy to use. It can do good static visualisations although I don't think that it will do moving lights (I've not really explored this). We use it at uni and I brought myself a student liscence version with all the plugin packs (spotlight, architect, designer, landmark, renderworks etc.) for about £170 I think.

Hope this helps

Mike

Archived