Set Design / Construction

Hi

Not sure if this is in the right place or not. please move if not.

We have a show coming up, but I am a little unclear about the difference in roles between a set designer and the construction team. At what point does the construction team take over?

As far as im aware, the set designer will design the set, and draw blown up areas to show what they look like in detail. As in materials etc.

Is it the set designers job to choose the materials or the construction teams.

If te set designer has imagined the set to encorporate metrodeck or something similar, and the set constructor wants to use something else, who has final decision on that sort of thing.

If someone could help, will be excellent.

Thanks alot

In a totally professional world the designers of anything rarely make it/produce it. They simply give the drawings to the people who do.

Depending on your production AND the people, there's no reason why the designer can't help build, or the team suggest alterations. Many designers will not change anything, or lift a paintbrush. I like the 'I will help, and listen' approach - however, I'd keep my power of veto to say NO when they want to change something I don't!

I've only acted as master carpenter in amateur productions, and I've usually gone with the "Don't tell me how to build it, show me what you want it to look like and exactly what you want it to do" school of thought.

If they ask for particular materials that you believe may not be best or exceed the budget, you need to find out why they want it and come to some form of agreement.

It may well be that they want Metrodeck instead of Steeldeck for a very good reason!

• 5 months later...

Use your Production Manager or Head of Productions thats what there for! or else they will still be sitting behind their desks......!

They should be able to work out most of the arkward issues from a plan and find or if not use the in house construction team. they will also work closely with their Technical Stage Manager to sort out any issues re: materials, construction, make it it happen so to speak! The set designer will have some sort of idea too.... but all workin together gets the job done!

It all boils down to using the best people for the job. What skills have they got - then their 'title' doesn't really matter. Loads of people have very misleading titles, especially in amateur groups. Whoever produces the design makes assumptions that the designs can be turned into reality. If the designer is also able to make it, then often, the design is more realistic to produce. Clever drawings that nobody can understand or work from don't help if the skill level available can't do them.

Archived