Work experience

Hey all

I posted a topic on here a few months ago about possible work experience, and have got in touch with some local lighting companies, but I was just wondering if there was anyone based in the Woking/Guildford area that would be prepared to offer me any kind of work experience either in lighting or sound. I have had experience in both areas, ranging from rigging lights in churches and village hallls, and rigging PA and lighting for local gigs and the like. I currently work for an amateur Drama group based in Brookwood, Surrey, and have recently completed a lighting and PA rig for a pantomime they put on. However, my theory is not up to scratch, and I would like to improve my knowledge in both areas, and get as much on-the-job experience as I can.

Thanks in advance, please drop me a message if you can offer me anything.

Regards

Matt Wisdom

• 3 weeks later...

Try Storm Lighting in Woking. www.stormlighting.co.uk

:mods: - Unnecessary quote of entire previous post removed. Unless you need to make it clear which aspect of a preceeding post you're replying to, or if you're going back to respond to a post from much earlier in a lengthy topic, by all means quote the whole post. But when the post is the only other one in the topic and is right there directly above the response, there's no need. See here.

Hi Matt

It sounds like you're in the same position I was in 14 years ago (how time flies!).

As 'who you know' is just as important as 'what you know', especially in this industry, I decided to do work experience with a big West London lighting firm who seemed to have all the interesting productions. It paid off, with a summer job and then a fixed position. After a few years I went freelance. I was commuting about 4 1/2 hours a day (from Surrey too), but the contacts I made back then are still paying my bills today, so it was worth the effort.

Let us know how you get on, and good luck!

B.

hey

I did work experiance for my local rep theatre last year. they then offered me a job as a caual crew member. I am now ASM on full equity contract whilst still at college. its definatly worth doing as the people u meet will teach you what you need and provide brilliant contacts.

best of luck

nicki

Archived