Specific Generic's Course?

Hi , just curious , is there a lighting course which is run like the Martin Mac Service Courses but designed specifically for generics?

Or is there something which will cover roughly the same things ?

- Handling of Generics

- Service of Generics

etc etc

Short and Sweet ;)

John Partridge

It would seem that most Uni's these days focuss more on intelligent lights. you could try further education, where the resourses are much tighter forcing them to use generic lanterns. Personally I prefer them. there is nothing like the warm glow of a well placed minuette..............(daydreaming)

It would seem that most Uni's these days focuss more on intelligent lights.

I hope not!

At the end of the day, there is no wiggly in the world that can correct for being rigged in the wrong place.

You may be able to point them in any direction (except you can't, especially with scans), but you can't make the light come from somewhere else.

I would think any basic lighting course would deal mainly in generics. You really only move onto movers once you know the basics of lighting. There is not much to generics anyway - maybe 2 days of teaching, if that to cover everything including how to service a number of different genercis.

Why is it that the world now seems to revolve around courses to teach you things, rather than reading and experimentation.

The trouble with every course is that they focus (pun intended) on the kit you learn on. Then you go back home and try to apply it to what you have.

I keep thinking about servicing for generics.

What would you put in a course? Not a lot really. how to remove and replace a bubble, how to unjam shutters (somebody tell me that one for next time I'm up a ladder), how to peak the beam, how to clean the lens, how to clean the other bits, how to rewire with new cable, how to PAT - nope, different course. I reckon a couple of hours at most, and that would be spent actually doing the work.

If you can't work all this out for yourself, thats a bit worrying because we're talking basic technology here.

Yep, there really is nothing much too generics, unless of course you need to find parts to some the old dinosaurs still in use (I've seen a few).

When I was at LIPA, we hardly touched upon them. But fortunately for me I had experience with small scale touring theatre prior to the course (1997). So I had lots of experience with old pre-set desks and generics.

The F.E. centre I work with now, generally teach the learners only with generics, but as I said before that's because it's cheaper........:unsure:

Hi , thanks for the replies.

First thing , I'm not thinking about going on one of these courses (if one does exist).

Ive been using generics for around 6 years now , so I would say I know what I'm doing .... :mods: (still could learn more)

It was just a question to see if someone was doing a course that was basic , and I could send a few (younger generation) children on.

But from the replies it sounds like such a thing doesn't exist, thanks anyway

99th post :unsure:

John Partridge

First thing , I'm not thinking about going on one of these courses (if one does exist).

This post isnt aimed at you then John but for those thinking "hmm, I'd like to know a bit more about generics and how to service them" I'd suggest contacting your local hire company for a day or 2 of work experience in their genni department and ask questions. I myself am still learning, I find the best way to learn is to play and take things apart...although I tend to find the odd shakeproof washer left on the bench :mods:

Hope people are having a nice evening.

Beaker :unsure:

Archived