24 track machine

Suzette

I'm after some advice please - I have a Soundcraft Magnetics Series 760 24 track analogue recorder available for sale, with full manual, remote unit and original plastic dust cover. It's in fairly good condition - 1 pinch roller needs replacing.

Does anyone know what sort of money this may be worth, or hopefully someone on the BR can point me in the direction of a company or society that is interested in this sort of equipment.

Obviously it could be sold on ebay but I would rather have an idea of what it might be worth first - if that is possible.

I have found a webpage which appears to be run by someone who has an interest in such matters Link - if you are interested and I have emailed him, but was hoping that the BR members might have some other ideas as well.

Hi,

Even if it's a late model (I think they went up to mk3) in superb condition, you'd be lucky to get a grand for it on Ebay. In its day it was a good, reliable machine, but one at the bottom end of the market. Soundcraft tape machines were never as good as their mixers. Soundcraft did at one time set up a daughter company called Saturn Research which made a more snazzy machine (I think it had an auto-alignment facility) - but very few were manufactured (I've only ever seen one at an exhibition).

Analogue tape is obsolete: the machines were large, expensive to build, run and maintain (lots of moving parts). There are still a few enthusiasts using analogue machines - but they now have their pick of the best machines at rock-bottom prices! The sought after machines are, for example Ampex ATRs, MM1100 and MM1200s, Studer A800 & A80 etc... There are still a lot of machines in fairly good condition knocking around, and anyone who's serious about analogue and can't afford an ampex or studer will have the choice of MCI, Lyrec, 3M etc... I'm sorry if this isn't good news. These days one can put together a fine computer-based 24+ track digital system for no more than £1,000. This will sound better that a poorly maintained, cheap 2" analogue machine.

However a good analogue machine sounds superb! To keep it sounding good it must be lined up before every session (every week if you're lazy) - which takes at least an hour, unless you have one of the few machines which auto-aligns.

The quickest way to sell will be via Ebay, but you will be disappointed by the price. You could try advertising it in the free classifieds of Sound on Sound magazine (www.soundonsound.com), or contacting a broker - Funky Junk (www.proaudioeurope.com), or Larking's List or Audio Toyshop.

I have to concur with what The Magus says. You're unlikely to sell this as a piece of "commercial" hardware It's more likely to be viewed as a "collectors item".

I know it's not much of a comparison, but about six months ago I sold my old Brennell one-inch 8 track in similar condition to your machine (working electronically but needing a pinch roller) complete with about 30 tapes for around £150.

I did notice at the time that there seemed to be a small but enthusiastic group of people who collected Brennel tape machines and exchanged spare parts etc.

My sale was on Ebay and seemed to attract good interest, if not a good price!.

Bob

I know it's not much of a comparison, but about six months ago I sold my old Brennell one-inch 8 track in similar condition to your machine (working electronically but needing a pinch roller) complete with about 30 tapes for around £150.

You did well! I sold one too and got £50! (better than a poke in the eye....etc.). I still have my beloved Revox A77. Still has its uses if I want to edit things like intros and outros. I love doing old-fashioned splice editing! :rtfm:

Thanks for the replies - I was thinking of trying to sell it on the lines of "vintage/collectors audio equipment", as obviously trying to sell it in the face of digital recording isn't worth the effort. (The reason for the sale is to try and get some money to buy digital)

I have been told as it is painted grey it is a mark 3 model .... I'll try the free ads in Sound on Sound (thanks The Magus), and I'm waiting on Don Larking to come back to me and see whether he is interested.

Might get £600 for it, if lucky and the right person sees it!

Archived