Singing in The Rain

Stutwo

We're toying with the idea of trying Singing in The Rain as a production in the future, and were discussing ways of dealing with the rain itself. This would be in an Arts College, on a stage about 30' deep by 36' wide, about 18' height to the fixed lighting bars which are around 6' apart.

Has anyone ever tried staging it? And if so, how did you deal with the water? We aren't afraid of some major alterations/building on the stage itself, and we've used water in a set before, only as a pond in a stage thrust though.

Any thoughts?

Scenic Projects of Beccles hire out a wet set for "Singin' in the Rain" which was used succesfully by a local society last autumn. Very effective rain, no stage modifications (it's an integrated set) and just a little mopping up of splashes required afterwards so I understand. Apparently they provide a rigger to help assemble it correctly. I have no idea of the cost.

If you want to create the whole effect yourselves they probably wouldn't want to share their expertise for nothing.

Guest lightnix

On the mid-80s West End production with Tommy Steele, the street surface was built on a truck, which was stored vertically against the back wall of the stage. The immediate scene before the title song was blocked well downstage, to allow it to be rolled slowly down and flat.

The truck was then dressed with shop frontage and the return pipes to the Rain Tank were hooked up. The Rain Tank itself was located below the stage and held something like 500(?) gallons. IIRC the sprinkler system consisted of one main "drencher", (in the form of a wide-angle nozzle ???) located downstage and several "dripper" pipes running across the stage at intervals from front to back.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but it was over 20 years ago and I was only a perch spot op at the time.

Scenic Projects is a couple thousand if you hire the whole set which includes delivery. Though I think you can just hire the raintruck. The truck from memory is about 24 ft wide and needs about 10ft of depth in its open position. it is closed its about 6ft or something. Tank is located on the USR side. There are 3 main pipes that run across the roof and has the usual drainpipes that are gushing etc. Nice little piece. Fab to light.

• 3 weeks later...

A greatly cheaper alternative but less 'realistic' option would be to use Profiles with rotating animation gobos in the front gate. I have used this effect for a short rain scene and yes - it worked well!

Lawrie

Luminaires Theatrical Company

Make sure your venue is okay with the ammount of water. There are a few that are extreamly peculiar about water - as in anything over a teapot full and they crack a spaz.

There are hundreds of ways to deal with 'real rain'. I have seen a system (dont ask me about the mechanics behind it) which used drippers which were placed on the upper border of the FOH side of the proscenium arch. At the base was a catchment. I believe they were hydroponic drippers each with a different drip rate. Since it dropped down in front of everything, the effect of slow rain was given.

We considered using an effect, but it seemed a shame to do that particular show, and not have a go at making it rain.

The venue is run by myself Mac, so the amount of water is fine as long as I'm happy with how it's being handled, I'm hoping to get a spread of rain though, so it doesn't look like he's dancing in and out of it. #

Again, thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated!

I was in house tech for an am version in a smaller venue than yours many years ago. No real problems as long as you respect the water electricity thing. The venue will smell musty for a while and wooden stages will swell a bit (we couldn't open the traps for a week after)and allow for spillages and leeks as they will happen. I feel its worth the effort for the puddle splashes during the tap number.

Funny you should ask this, I'm doing Sound Design for a production by an amateur company at the Cambridge arts theatre next week!

We've gone for the DIY approach, with shower head type attachments in the grid, raining onto a truck below. The maths has been done to work out how deep the truck needs to be to just contain the water (top surface is ply with holes in, bottom surface play+pond liner), then pump it out at the end of the show.

We're having a fairly wet term in Cambridge Drama, going from a bath (Marat/Sade), via rain, to a massive waterfall (South Pacific)!

I saw it at the Leicester Haymarket last year - Great effect there. Don't know how they got around the whole water / electricity thing - the dancer wasn't shy when it came to splashing around & they had jets going up as well as coming down. The length of the interval was somewhat dictated by how long it took the stage crew to mop it all up...

have fun with the risk assessment :angry:

Don't know how they got around the whole water / electricity thing - the dancer wasn't shy

A proper rain bar is control able by angle of dangle and water pressure. The OP says he has 6 feet between LX bars so it might be possible with some care to get two bars up so

I'm hoping to get a spread of rain though, so it doesn't look like he's dancing in and out of it.
For the tray a large truck the width of the stage or at least the rain bar plus a bit with three raised edges and a incline to a trough at the front to collect the water to be pumped out. for the splashing put a low point in the truck for a 5 to 10mm deep pool big enough for him to jump in. As has been said before flip the truck US for storage as it will probably need to stay on stage all the time. Try to have the interval soon after the damp scene so the crew can mop and the actor can dry and not get a stinking cold (like me today!) bit of side lighting from those lx bars to make it look pretty and avoid on stage electrics. Remember radio mics need to be removed (our actor didn't).

I saw it at the Leicester Haymarket last year - Great effect there. Don't know how they got around the whole water / electricity thing - the dancer wasn't shy when it came to splashing around & they had jets going up as well as coming down. The length of the interval was somewhat dictated by how long it took the stage crew to mop it all up...

have fun with the risk assessment :P

I worked on the leicester/sadlers wells production. it was intresting!! the over head pipes where attached to the back of a bridge about 6' us of the pros and there was a good 6' before the next us lx bar so no problems there.

They didnt have a truck to catch the water, insted they made a ridge round the edge of the playing area about 1" high, then layed plastic sheets and on top of that layed the dance floor. This made a nice tank so it just rained on the floor! and yes the crew had to hover it up with loads of wet and dry hovers!

The water was fed from a standered domestic water tank on the fly floor and a pump to get it in to the pipes.

there was a row of trucks across the back of the set whick acted as a kerb and these had yet more pipes built in for water comeing out of manholes effect!!!!

it did look very good and I think they still added rain projection from 4 mac 550s on top as well!

it was good but it wasent populer with the crew!!

hope this helps

pete watts

Archived